What temperature do you use for ball python incubation?

I have been doing some research and cant seem to find what the best temp to keep your incubator at. What temps do you guys keep it at and about how long do your eggs incubate for at said temp?

88 or 89* is my preference. My incubator in my old room stayed right at 89. My new room runs a little warmer ambient so I keep it set to 88. I’ve seen them hatched in rack tubs at 84 degrees so it’s not super critical to hit an exact temp. The hotter you run the faster they’ll develop but the chances of things like kinking go up. The temps I use have my first pip on day 55-58.

3 Likes

Thanks! I also keep mine around 89 but wanted to see what others opinions were

1 Like

I incubate at 87.5 and usually see my first pip around day 60.

2 Likes

89 it is for me

2 Likes

88F here. I also keep another thermometer with a max/min record and try to make sure the max stays below 90 ideally.

2 Likes

I’m a firm believer that 87 to 88 is ideal incubating temperatures!

2 Likes

I bake mine at 30

How long does that take?
I am using the same 30c
I know you said a few weeks in another thread but I cant find it.
Whats a few weeks though?
Or should I just not worry and they hatch when they hatch ?

Just asking because I have my first eggs and am a little over exited.

1 Like

I also am baking mine at 30 this year. Seems to give me fatter, better babies

1 Like

Yes I believe that too and less complications, but how long, im too exited.

2 Likes

It’s varied, I think mine this year we’re on average 65-70 days

3 Likes

About the same time Nathan notes: 65-70 days or so

3 Likes

87 degrees mine pip at 60 to 65 days.

And this in my experiences lower incubation temperatures equals less defects and problems in general.

2 Likes

Yes, From this and other threads here, Im convinced of cooler temps too now so am going for 30c /86F to 30.5c/ 87F.

When I did colubrid snakes in the past I used to be accurate within days, but not sure for ball pythons. Maybe its the conversion form imperial to metric and the lack of experience and data on my part.

From what I can work out with my conversions this seems to be temperatures = days roughly?

@ 30c /86F = 65 to 75 days

@ 30.5c/ 87F = 60 to 65 days

@ 32c / 89.6F = 55 to 60 days

Does that sound right?

(it would be really good if we had one point of reference for this information for all temperatures on the site, just an idea.)

I guess the range is due to minor temperature inaccuracies, fluctuations and position affecting minor differences in temperature, like eggs on the top being hotter and inaccuracies in thermometers.?

When I used to incubate at 90 they would start coming out on there own around 50 to 53 days.

2 Likes

I will place a caveat on my numbers - I run a 12/12 on the heat in my incubator, so there is a cyclic pattern fluxing from 27-30.5 over the course of the day

I incubate at 86-87. They end up hatching around day 65 generally.

That’s really interesting in addition to the average temperatures. Most information out there would have me (as a new person to ball pythons) believe much higher temperatures are required for ball pythons compared to nre world snakes for example. Its beginning to look to me like there is not much if any difference for safe lower incubation temperatures.

1 Like