What to do with sheds

So we got our first full shed today, #3 since he’s been here. Finally got everything right for it not to be shredded. So is it something people store? If so how do I store it so it doesn’t become dry and cracked? Or should I just enjoy it for a bit with the microscope and toss it?

1 Like

huzzah! The first full shed is always the best :)!
I’ve seen people make jewelry out of shed (i have a few! Snake Discovery has a video on how to make charm jewels with them) but also keep it around if people are curious about snakes and wish to see them. Another use is feeding isopods, that absolutely love them. If you do ever store them, you could put them in a plastic bag, but either way they’ll get dry. To make them a little more pliable when this happens you can spritz it down with some water and it’ll be a bit better to work with.

4 Likes

Personally I like to just keep a few sheds on display in my room.

3 Likes

I was going to say jewellery!
When I get a nice shed off Hideyoshi I’m passing it to my mother who’s going to make a necklace with resin using it for me :sweat_smile:
Yes I’m just that strange. And also if I can catch Kanekis before he eats it I’ll steal haha :joy:

2 Likes

My favorite way to save shed is to make it damp and remove any wrinkles. After it is dry cut up the belly scales so that it unfolds into a sheet. It is really easy to see pattern in them like this.

4 Likes

Depending on the morph(s) involved, Hannah Sidel of the ball python genetics project might have an interest in it. I believe that right now they are primarily looking for BlkPastel complex, YB complex, and GStripe but they might take in others

7 Likes

He has black pastel in him

2 Likes

Make snake chicarrones.

2 Likes

Uses are mainly, as others have said, jewelry. And also possibly if you want to breed snakes.
That’s all that comes to mind. There must be more.

Me too…but I’m Always searching for that perfect one.

2 Likes

If you do decide to keep them, don’t leave them in any sort of permeable container. I found out the hard way that clothing moths LOVE them.

When we get nice clean sheds I bring them to work to show my middle schoolers. However, I really want to make jewelry with them. :purple_heart:

2 Likes

LMAO, I wanna see if thats possible

1 Like

I feed them to my isopods.

7 Likes

Probably the best use :arrow_up:

1 Like

lolol. I’m sure some Asian country has fried their sheds. It might be good if seasoned right. I’m still curious about snake meat. I have this feeling it’s not good.

2 Likes

Interesting…
I mean… maybe it’s nice and crispy? :thinking:

1 Like

It is somewhat like a hybrid of fish and chicken consistency wise. And, as with most meats, seasoning plays a large part in flavour

1 Like

I’ve eaten several types of rattlesnake in West Texas and a boa (I think) in Peru. All very tasty to me.

1 Like

Omg not a boa… don’t show Lumpy this…. :flushed:

I can’t unsee someone eating a boa.

Poor baby. :sob:

1 Like