What type is my gecko?

Hi, I do not breed geckos and I actually have just one but I would like to know what type of gecko it is. I couldn’t find any gecko that would look similar to mine and I’m starting to question if it even is leopard gecko. I am also scared that its looks have to do something with my care. I am trying to provide it good care but I am not sure if I am doing everything right. I would be very grateful for your help.

She/he is dark with spots.

3 Likes

May I have a better picture of her?

I am sorry but this is only other picture of her I have because she is shedding right now and you can only see her head on other photos I have.

2 Likes

This photo is also about three months old and she seems to get darker as the time passes.

@mblaney any idea on morph? Not so great at that.

Why are you worried you aren’t caring properly? Can you explain how you care for her/him? What you feed as well?

1 Like

When I got her I trusted the guy at pet shop who sold her to me and that proved to be a mistake because as you can see she bit of tips of her fingers because I did not know they need humidity box. The guy also recommended me sand that almost killed her so now she is on towels. She has heating pad and uvb light and I feed meal worms covered in calcium and vitamins mostly because cricket bit her once and she would not eat cockroaches because they are too big for her. I would try another insects but this is all I can get where i live. I am worried about my care because when i bought her she was black, grey and bright yellow and then she just started to go darker and darker.

Take the UVB light out. She doesn’t need both! Does she have a moist hide currently? If not, she needs one. It helps mine shed. Paper towels is great! There are different sized dubia roaches, have you tried small ones? Meal worms aren’t really a great diet by themselves, I would try the smaller dubias as well if you can.

1 Like

Never leave live insects in the tank as well! Especially crickets. They will definitely eat the gecko.

1 Like

How old is she? How long have you had her?

1 Like

She is about year and a half old. She does have a moist hide.

1 Like

This should be her when she was little. I had her for more than year.

3 Likes

They do change in color as they get older. Kinda looks like a little dinosaur in that pic!

From the pictures you provided, it seems that she was severely underweight when you got her, but has made a full recovery. She is indeed a leopard gecko. She’s just much darker than the average leopard gecko. Her coloration will not affect her care in any way.

S/he’s definitely hyper-melanistic, presumably by chance/from wildtypes. I don’t know if Black Night/Black Pearl/Charcoal/Akoya/Carbon could be applied as those indicate specific bloodlines (or did at one point). Where did you get him/her, and how long have they been with you? Can you show us a pic of their vent/tail base? Then we can tell you gender.

If you are concerned about care and unsure if you’re doing the right thing, I suggest you look through the posts in the Gecko category on this forum, and read the ones tagged ‘leopard gecko.’ Then you’ll get a lot of info, and see the tips people have given previously, including husbandry reviews.

Geckos often get darker with age, sometimes a lot. Kind of the opposite grey horses, which turn white with age. In the case of your kiddo, she has turned out awesome! Geckos can also darken a bit when cold, but not to such a degree.

Though I disagree with @westridge , and I think she was in pretty typical shape for a pet shop juvie leo when she was little (yes, too skinny, but especially dehydrated), I agree that she appears to be in ideal body condition currently, and that’s the important thing. :relaxed:

I got her from a pet store that is owned by guy I’ve known for a long time. He doesn’t have any pets (except fish) at his store but when I asked him for gecko he brought me this one from a local breeder. I asked for a wild type and I had her for more than a year, maybe year and half. I hope it’s a female because I named her “Daisy” :sweat_smile: tried to take a good picture but she didn’t look very happy about it.

3 Likes

I just realized that I actually got her right after summer 2017,still can be wrong because I have terrible memory,but that would make her three years old.

3 Likes

She is definitely a she!

2 Likes

I agree she is a female!

1 Like

Do you soak her to help with her stuck shed?

If she has stuck shed on her feet I try to wipe her with wet towels because I am not sure if I should soak a gecko. I do not know what tempeture water do they need or how deep it should be.