What's your Dream Herptile?

Emerald tree monitors are my favorite, but I have never seen blue tree monitors before. I might look into those some more. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

First dream herp achieved! My gorgeous baby blood python girl arrived on Wednesday. :heart_eyes: I already made a dedicated thread about her, but I figured I’d blather about it here too, since I mentioned she was at the top of my list.

Boom.

10 Likes

Honestly, I don’t think I have seen enhough
examples of the species in real life to deny or confirm that. :sweat_smile:

Like with a lot of reptiles i think there probably a bit of variation within the species itself.

But i did notice that lighting has an effect on the colours of the monitor. :thinking:

As you can see on these pictures. :arrow_up:
All 3 pictures are from the same animal.
While sitting at the basking spot he is clearly much lighter blue.

The green ones are more available captive bred as far I’m aware off.
The blue ones also get a bit bigger then the green tree monitors.

Personally I have seen the blue tree monitor in real life only twice so far. :wink:

Once at an reptile expo and once at a reptile zoo.

5 Likes

I love blue tree monitors! I used to work with one when I was working at a reptile rescue. I’d show a video of me handling it, but I don’t want to show my face for privacy purposes.

3 Likes

No worries we understand. :wink:

But I bet that it was a very nice experience. :grin:

4 Likes

It really was! They were probably one of my favorite Herps to work with while I was there, the others being the boa imperator and the green tree pythons.

2 Likes

Congrats on getting one of your dream heros! She’s gorgeous, I’ll bet she’ll do great with you :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My dream herp for a long time was an egg eating snake! I actually have one now, and she’s amazing!!

My current dream snakes are:

• Rough or smooth green snake (captive bred)
  • Nerodia (captive bred)
  • Copperhead (captive bred, and after I’m fully trained and licensed to be able to keep hots)
  • Snail eating snake (captive bred)

A legless lizard would be super cool too!

And I might as well throw in my dream invertebrates, because why not haha

• Blue death-feigning beetles
  • Giant red velvet mites (currently looking into these)
  • Giant millipede
  • African land snail

One more animal that doesn’t fit into those categories is the hydra! They’re so cool!

4 Likes

Thank you! I’m already completely in love with her.

2 Likes

Ohh that’s such a hard question but I would have to say some form of gtp or emerald tree boa in the snakes category just because that was one of the first “rare” snakes I saw on video and in person. As for a lizard it would have to be a Argentine black and white Tegu because who doesn’t want one of there cute little puppy dog like faces and personality’s and then I’m not to into amphibians but I like dart frogs and stuff

3 Likes

That is totally fine! I definitely won’t show my face because there are some crazy people… And anyone (even non-members) can access the threads for reading.

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

For me it would probably be an eastern indigo or a komodo dragon. Both of which are very unreasonable but I might be able to get an eastern indigo someday.

5 Likes

I think having an eyelash viper would be cool.

2 Likes

Pythonodipsas

Because of course I want a snake that is not in the hobby and also lives in a country that does not export

Acanthophis are available in the US

6 Likes

They are? I thought those were Australia exclusive. Still won’t be any time soon because I have no venom training but at least it’s a possibility now. Thanks for letting me know!

3 Likes

Australia doesn’t like to export their animals for some reason. I wanted a red back spider and a Sydney Funnel Web but i can’t seem to get them.

1 Like

There are numerous species that made it to US soil before Aus closed its borders - carpet pythons, blackheads, diamonds, beardie, BTS… And there are quite a few species that managed to make it here after that timeframe as well - womas, Strophurus, bredli, shinglebacks…

Not sure which of those Acanthophis fall under, but they are certainly here

5 Likes

This is a great question, and one im honestly struggling with. Theres a few things i would reallllly like in different areas. Id love an eastern indigo.

Id love to add a northern bts, and i know thats not really rare or exciting, but tjeyre out of reqch for me at the moment.

More i think about it, i feel like i dont really wajt different species, but certain morphs iny current species.

3 Likes

Why are blue tongues out of reach currently?

1 Like