Whats your opinion/ view of scaleless snakes?

So what do you think about completely scaleless snakes?
Do you like them or do you think it defeats the point of a snake?
Just a thought, a scaleless Lampropeltis would contradict the name :anguished:
Any other views?

Personally I am not sure. I think they can look wrinkled and might be too delicate.
But on the other hand, very pretty and interesting at the same time.
I am in two minds. Help me.

Also do they need different care?

1 Like

I actually like how they look, I wouldnā€™t want half my snakes to be scaleless but I still want some. As far as different care they might need paper substrate, higher humidity, and maybe soaks more often. Theyā€™re also more prone to getting stuck shed but generally they still shed fine. And as was mentioned in a different thread I think that as long as someone is able and willing to care for one then they should be able to get one regardless of the opinions of others.

6 Likes

I am petrified of snakes :snake: lol so I rate a 0

Iā€™ve always liked the look of scaleless corns. I think some of the morphs are more beautiful in the scaleless variety, like aneries. I got to feel and hold one for the first time a few days ago and now I really want one. As far as Iā€™m aware, scaleless corns are still just as hardy as scaled corns. They still have their belly scales and they still have an egg tooth when pipping, so I donā€™t think there is anything unethical about keeping them.

7 Likes

I think theyā€™re neat, not something Iā€™m particularly interested in working with though. I got to hold a scaleless ball python andā€¦ it was a very interesting experience.

Maybe down the line Iā€™ll look into working with scaleless, but Iā€™d rather focus on my other recessive projects for now.

4 Likes

I had a sphynx cat, I guess thatā€™s the cat version of scaleless snakes. I like odd animals.

1 Like

What did it feel like? difficult to describe I suppose

I (and many others) like all sorts of animals, but the interest in unusual pets is probably the reason we are all here.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve never felt one but I would think it would be comparable to a leathery-like feel.

The one I held felt velvety. It was really nice!

2 Likes

Theyā€™re soft, like really smooth skin.
I joked to my fiancĆ© about what it felt like but that joke wouldnā€™t be appropriate here :rofl:

4 Likes

Ok im getting more interested in them now

:blush: now im not sure again :rofl:

2 Likes

I believe thereā€™s scaleless CaliKings out there, and that does interest me a bit. Iā€™m quite fond of scaleless colubrids actually, corns feel almost like a peach. I personally draw the line at lacking belly scutes though, so scaleless pythons are out of the question. They just donā€™t seem to thrive as well and look sort of like big slugs

Folks can do what they like, but Iā€™m not interested in scaleless snakes. Iā€™m actually pretty upset about scaleless corn snakes, since any corn from a clutch descended from any scaleless corn is actually a cross species (1st cousins though they may be) hybrid with P. emoryi, and no longer a corn snake. It actually pisses me off, to put it plainly. I donā€™t want any of my corns to be related to scaleless corns, but that ship has probably sailed because people saw dollar signs and went nuts with the scaleless ā€œcornā€ snake. Itā€™s irresponsible that these hybrids are never declared as such. It bends me entirely the wrong way.

I donā€™t have strong feelings about the other scaleless snakes, but I wouldnā€™t own any, they just arenā€™t my thing.

Source: https://cornsnake.net/blogs/stories/story-of-the-scaleless-corn-snake

2 Likes

Yeah, this is particularly frustrating, although at this point I think any corns not taken directly from the wild probably have some hybrid blood in them

1 Like

There is quite a few morphs out there that people donā€™t realize are hybrids. I agree this should change they should be sold as hybrids.

4 Likes

I knew that was the case, but I couldnā€™t put a finger on how many or which ones outside of the species Iā€™m most familiar with. Iā€™m unaware of any specific cases of passing morph genes via hybrids on the Python and Boa side of things, and thatā€™s exactly the problem. Iā€™m a pretty big snake nerd, but I donā€™t know the real history behind every morph of every species. Who does? Itā€™s impossible for the casual hobbyist to know what they are really buying. It cheapens and muddies our enjoyment and the genetic lineage of these animals. The natural history of these species are part of the enjoyment of keeping them, at least for me. So many ā€œCreamsicles,ā€ and doubtlessly Jungle Corns got bred back into and out of corn snake and other rat snake lines that thereā€™s really no telling what youā€™re dealing with at this point. There are probably some Cal Kings out there on the market with 1/256th corn snake blood. It gets out of hand fast.

I am okay with folks making and keeping hybrids, in theory. Iā€™m not trying to yuck anyoneā€™s yum. But in practice they almost never get properly documented, represented and tracked in the long run, therefore Iā€™m increasingly opposed to them on ethical grounds.

I actually prefer the wild type appearance of many commonly kept species. I love some morphs too, but Iā€™m actually trying to minimize them outside of my corns and balls.

Back on topic, I still donā€™t prefer scaleless snakes. Aside from not liking them, I worry they are delicate and easily injured. Can anyone tell me if thatā€™s the case? Are scaleless snakes more susceptible to injury and/or infections?

Hey @saleengrinch - I donā€™t know how to do a quote reply on this forum, as you did with my previous post. Iā€™ve looked at the interface for clues but I donā€™t quite grok.

2 Likes

You picked the absolute worst person to ask lol. Highlight it like you would copy and paste and hit quote.

1 Like

For the absolute worst person to ask, you sure gave an excellent and clear answer.

3 Likes

So Iā€™ve been hearing that Scaleless donā€™t live past 3/4. Is this true?
Apparently none seen older than that?

Posted on a few now. Would be interesting to know.

2 Likes

Scaleless ball pythons have some issues that require additional care and if not given you will eventually lose them. Scaleless corns are pretty hardy.

5 Likes