Which Dinosaur Would Make The Best Pet? 🦕 (submissions)

I would like to create a poll to settle a debate I’ve seen being had. Which dinosaur would be the best pet? But there are so many dinosaurs out there, how could I possibly pick a few to make a poll? Well, that’s what this post is for! I want all of y’all to nominate a dinosaur that would genuinely make a good pet if it were to be tamed. And I’m talking feasible for the average person, so nothing like spinosaurus unless you can come up with a good or funny enough explanation why it would be a good pet. I hope to get many nominations, so don’t be afraid to get a little out there or obscure. I will start by nominating Kulindadromeus, Psittacosaurus, and Mononykus.

6 Likes

i would say chickens

10 Likes

Fun topic! Personally, I would love to have a Microraptor. They’re a manageable size. Four wings is extremely cool. I guess there may still be some debate over their classification as a dinosaur, but I can accept them as such. Mononychus and Psittacosaurus would also make my list. I wasn’t familiar with Kulindadromeus, so I looked it up. I would be happy with one of those, too. And I have always adored chickens!

6 Likes

Microraptor would be great for an atrium or aviary. I am including both avian and non avian dinosaurs here (preferably extinct ones), so Microraptor well fits in the category.

5 Likes

That’s what I was thinking! My thinking was fuzzy though, which I’m blame on a lack of sleep. I couldn’t come up with “atrium.” Pondered what might be the saurian based equivalent term for “aviary.” Pteriary?

5 Likes

I think i’d nominate Troodon and of course a Psittacosaurus. A Troodon is bigger but i just think of it as having a horse. They’re also very smart and i think they could be good like guard dinosaurs. I also just love them and would want to have one lol. I like Psittacosaurus because they’re adorable and their diet would probably be easy for most people to provide. And they’re around the size of a large dog so it’s not too big to be easily kept. Microraptors would be really cool too. I am a big dinosaur nerd so there’s probably other could nominations i could think of but these were just off the top of my head. Very fun idea @garciademueller!

5 Likes

Microceratus~
A 25ish pound ceratopsian species seems like a great place to start for an easy way to get your feet wet. Then you can start in on working your way up to the smaller raptors or feisty procompsognathus

5 Likes

My favourite tiny dino is probably Aquilops. They were smaller than my cats and just too dang cute.

Though Dilong was pretty cool too. Sort of like a mini T-Rex that only weighed about 25 pounds. Also a cutie.

8 Likes

Oh man, I forgot about Dilong, but they are absolutely adorable.

5 Likes

I know, they were so cute! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: And who wouldn’t want a mini-rex?

As someone who grew up loving Tyrannosaurus Rex and similar large, bipedal carnivores, I was pretty much delirious with glee when I discovered Dilong. The smaller raptors are cool, but many of them have faces that are a little too narrow and bird-like for my tastes. Dilong has more of that true tyrannosaur face that I love, just in a more manageable size.

8 Likes

My sleep-deprived brain sees this and immediately goes “Which one could I RIDE??? Preferably without said ride ending in my near-certain demise??? :star_struck:” This, in turn, led me down a bizarre rabbithole of quora q&a, reddits, references to ARK: Survival Evolved (occasionally Dinotopia, as well), and some short blogger posts…

Finally, I landed on the biggest thing that a person could reasonably manage to provide food for (other than by letting it eating you):

Opisthocoelicaudia seems to have about the same body mass as a modern elephant (so wouldn’t require a small country’s worth of grazing land), a fairly flat back, and no rational motivation to murder me. Therefore, it is the perfect choice for dinoback-riding. :rofl:

8 Likes

So it’s a long necked elephant… I’ve seen how much an elephant can eat!

I’ll take a five pound theropod who can hunt mice in my yard like a furious toothy bird. Taking it on a long line leash to the park to sniff things and chase squirrels…

8 Likes

I absolutely love how much research went into this :rofl: reminds me of me

7 Likes

These are the important questions. Love it!

9 Likes

this one right here

4 Likes

It wouldn’t be for the average keeper, but I feel like Heracles inexpectatus would’ve made an alright pet for the very experienced keeper. They were a giant terrestrial parrot about 1m tall that ate fruits and nuts and stuff, and I feel like if you had a large enough aviary, you’d be able to keep them right.

images (5)

8 Likes

Like a Kakapo-zilla!

4 Likes

Man, I want all of them! Probably for the best that I can’t have a Dino buddy, though. My faithful cat is fine with the snakes, but saurians might be a bit too much for her. :rofl: :joy:

3 Likes