Wilbanks Advanced Radiant Heat Panel

So I jumped on it ordered a panel from Wilbanks.
The product is built nice but has a metal finish to it and seems like it could cause burns to your reptile if touched, Other than that being said I feel its a good product but the metal finish i’m not a fan of. Has anyone else used these yet ? I still feel that Vivarium Electronics Radiant Heat Panel’s are my more of choice to go to.

3 Likes

I haven’t ordered one yet but do want to eventually to give them a try. Have you measured surface temp while operating to see how warm it gets? I wouldn’t be too concerned with animals burning themselves on them, unless they get hotter than pro products and vivarium electronics.

1 Like

I have recorded a 179°F surface temperature so far.
I have this set up with a thermostat also.

That’s definitely hot enough to be concerned…

Both VE and Pro Products panels will reach that temp range when getting going. (Like initial heat up, or recovery after cage cleanings) Yeah its hot and dangerous if they could maintain contact, but not easy for them when ceiling mounted.

1 Like

I have it ceiling mounted with the probe about 4inchs below the panel.
I have the thermostat set at 91°F.
Maybe i just dont remember the initial setup being hot like this with the other panels I have.

I’m almost positive my panel from pro-products never reached that high during the initial warmup phase, but I could be wrong.

Just snapped these reading a pro products ph125 that is on a Vision 632 that’s been operating a while.

3 Likes

Morning guys thought I’d report back with my temperatures panel is now reading 155 with my temps sitting around 91 on the hot side so I will have to say it’s doing pretty decent it was a scare though because like I said my other panels never got up to that high of a range this panel did Peak 209 but since then has now been steady at 155.

4 Likes

Great to know, I just got one of their panels and I do plan to ceiling mount it and have it on a thermostat.

2 Likes

I just orderd more also.

Maybe it’s due to the fact I keep my reptile room at 79-81 degrees, but my RHP is sitting at 100 degrees right now.

1 Like

How are you guys placing your thermostat probes? How close should I be putting it?

Is it a problem if I can’t touch the panel without hurting myself? Won’t that be unsafe for my snake? This is my first time using a metal panel in a bigger enclosure (4x2x2) so I’d love to know how more experienced keepers manage it.
I need to get this thing dialed in to safe temps ASAP because Finnley has put on a growth spurt and needs this new home.

EDIT: Okay rereading the above, paying more attention! It sounds like they kind of heat surge at first when turned on but they do settle down? I’ll have to see if mine will do the same.

1 Like

The way I mount my thermostat probe for rhp is to have it near the panel but not directly underneath it. For example my pro heat ph70 panels have the probe mounted about 3" below the panel on the wall of the enclosure about an inch away. My ph125 panels and probe are similarly mounted. My VE40 watts have the probe about 5" below and the VE120 had its probe dangling 4" below about even with the edge. Each instance I dialed the thermostat in to achieve a hot spot I was happy with.

2 Likes

Okay mine was at 192 F just now… hoping it settles, I’ve turned the thermostat numbers down…
Trst the process trust the process…

1 Like

I wonder how extensive Wilbanks had these tested. Since they’re a new heating element design and a new housing, what sort of testing they had done could have missed design flaws for certain housing types. I would contact his company and inquire on operating surface temperature expectations.

1 Like

it seemed to take 48hrs for it to settle on my 2 panels. i spiked in the 200’s
but now sits around 155 to 162 surface with my hot spot staying in the low 90’s, now the snake room has a room temp of 72 degrees so maybe my panels are higher due to trying to keep the temps steady.

3 Likes

My concern is if they can do this hooked up to a thermostat, how can a thermostat prevent them overheating? They seem able to do it anyway.

What I am testing is if they keep doing it or not. Mine’s back to 100 with the probe wired to be about an inch or two under the panel itself. If it will settle, and hover in a specific range, that’s great, but what guarantees that if the power to my house flicks off and then back on as it can sometimes, will it go through a surge of 200 F again?

I’m asking the company in their Chat widget on their sit.e

Okay!
I spoke to Mr. Wilbanks, and the catch I was missing was that these panels need a Pulse Proportional Thermostat to really work properly. The one I have just cuts off power at a certain point, it doesn’t meter out the right amount to get the right heat. That’s why it’s swinging so wildly.

(this info is on their website, but I guess I missed it in the FAQ)

I am off to seek out said Pulse Proportional Thermostat, and encourage anyone else trying to figure these puppies out to give that a try.

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. Myself has missed this in the FAQ’s also.

1 Like