Winter time hunger strike?

Hey guys so I was just curious to what y’all think. Two of my snakes have currently been on a hunger strike for 3 months. The last time they both ate was November 27th. Before that they never missed a meal. I fed them (live) every 7 days and once they reached 700 grams I fed every 10-11 days. They are only two weeks apart in age and I got them when they were 6 weeks old. They will be 2 years old in June. All of there husbandry needs are met and I haven’t changed anything. I have been buying rats from the same breeder the entire time.

My female comes out and follows/hunts it around and acts she is going to strike but never does. And my male just hides and is terrified of it lol.
My rat supplier said its pretty common for them to go off food during winter, but they didn’t do this last winter. And I currently have a 6 month old that’s always ready to eat.
Is this pretty common for everyone during this time of year (for older snakes)? Should I wait it out or do I need to try something different?

Note: They haven’t lost any weight and both shed in January.

1 Like

I’ll have males occasionally “hunger strike” during the winter as a result of breeding season, but never females. It’s usually the opposite as they approach sexual maturity

What size rat have you been feeding them?

4 Likes

The female a 60ish gram rat even though she weighs 950 grams and the male usually a 40ish gram rat and he weighs 630 grams. The first year I was feeding 10% body weight, but I have never fed over a 60 gram rat. Thats what the breeder always gives me, and I never argue it because they seem the right size. Honestly I think if I upped the rat size they would be terrified of them lol. My female has always been a great eater. She would always come out and strike instantly. So this is out of character for her. My male however has always been finicky and shy.

2 Likes

Breeding age certainly can affect males but females not so much unless yours is an exception.

Why don’t you try a smaller rat for each snake?Maybe neither is that hungry……

2 Likes

If you can show us a picture seeing her body condition might help us give you answer.

4 Likes

This might be a stupid question, but have you double checked your temps? And if so, what are you using to check those temps?

I’m just wondering if perhaps it’s dropped to a colder temp than you realize. It’s been a cold winter in a lot of places, and your house may be cooler than usual. I recently had to bump up the heat in my room so my snakes’ heating elements could keep up.

3 Likes

It can be normal to not eat as often during winter.
I would double check temps as @jawramik stated.

Do to age and size, this is also a normal process they tend to go through. I would move eating to 14 days, and for now skip a feeding or two, dont try to feed and give them some time to relax and unstress. When they start their eating habit change, trying to get them to eat could stress then out and it could take longer for then to eat again.

Don’t worry to much as they will eat when they are ready. It can be stressful for you to go through this the first time. If it hits a year without eating, then would be to them to start stressing. And if it happens again, you will be use to it. Just don’t try to force then to start eating and let them rest for a while before trying again.

3 Likes

Okay I will get a recent pic today and post it here!

2 Likes

I have Govee digital Thermometers in the enclosures. I did have to adjust the thermostat for the winter.

2 Likes