2023 Leopard Bamboo clutch, something odd

I think that paradox spot on her means at least some of her body’s cells are Bamboo Pinstripe, including some or all of her ovaries. The main visual part of her body is definitely no Pinstripe.

3 Likes

She still is a crazy anomaly of a snake! I am leaning towards the fact that she has such a small/low expression of pinstripe that may be the reason not many of her offspring receive pinstripe? Including her 6 egg clutch 2 years ago and this one only 1 out of 12 received the pinstripe mutation! That is way out of the normal percentage you would expect. You could just have really bad luck with the odds gods but I think it may have something to do with as @crypticoils-pythons stated:

Maybe a smaller amount then the normal pinstripe? That’s all I could think of, very interesting stuff here! You truly never completely know what to expect! That’s a great perk about breeding; the mysteries, and surprises! That bamboo, pinstripe, leopard baby is so awesome as well! It would definitely make my holdback rack!

2 Likes

Yes, that baby is definitely staying with me for
Sure!

2 Likes

This is a super cool mystery and tbh an awesome genetic mystery for someone science oriented to dig into (if the genetics testing groups feel up to it even better!).

2 Likes

Im totally a rookie and could most likely be wrong but could this be called epistasis?

Gynandromorphy. Happens in a few species other than birds. Lots of interesting examples in invertebrates.

Not what is happening here though :+1:t4:

“Paradox” is an illegitimate term used within the hobby to describe any of these weird anomaly animals. It has zero scientific value. Chimerism and mosaicism are the two most likely causes behind the “paradox” cases we see in the hobby. I have given pretty detailed accounts of each in a few different places here on the boards so I will not clutter up this thread by repeating myself :grin:

Last season I had a pair where the female carried Pin and six of her seven offspring ended up being Pin. Two years ago I had an Albino Acid x BlkPastel Cypress het Albino pairing and all four offspring were Albino. all four were BlkPastel, all four were Cypress, and three of four were Acid. Odds are just theoretical numbers and only really apply to the much greater collective and can be utterly worthless on the individual level

Different genetic level process

5 Likes

Now… On to the gristle of the matter here. Just what the heck is going on

This one is a wee bit more complicated that our traditional ‘chimera’ or ‘mosaic’. I can think of a few possible situations that might give rise to a situation like this but, in the absence of molecular/genetic level testing that is not currently available for the species, I am just throwing Jell-o at the wall

1. Suppressor/Hypersuppressor mutation to Pin - Short version is that the female is a BambooPin but there is another de-novo mutation that acts to suppress its expression of Pin in the animal. This mutation has high linkage affinity to Bamboo such that in almost every case when Bamboo is inherited the suppressor is also inherited
  2. Transposon - Short version is that Pin is the result of a transposon insertion. The female in question is genetically and gametically Bamboo but some of the ‘chimeric’ Pin tissue is proximal enough to the ovary that a rare fluke (re)activation of the transposon allowed for it to “jump” into a developing gamete
8 Likes

So, if im understanding correctly:

1. The female has the pin gene fully, but its being supressed by a mutation and only displaying where the paradox visual is, even though the moms genetics contain paradox fully.

2. Some craziness happened which resulted in the gene being present in the ovaries creating a chance for pins to be created?

(Sorry if this seems like a super waterdled down version, i just want to be sure im understanding you correctly.)

3 Likes

As an aside. Has the OP ever bred her before? Could this also be a case where some sperm was retained and the paradox has nothing to do with anything? (If she were bred to a pin in a previous season).

3 Likes

They said she had a clutch of 6 eggs 2 years ago with no pins in that clutch.

3 Likes

Yes she had 6 eggs before with none pinstripe. That post is on the community I just don’t know how to link it.

2 Likes

Since this has happened this time, this could be repeated agin?

2 Likes

First Clutch Link

2 Likes

The question id have is what did she breed it with, though that would be crazy if she had bred with a pin and got 0 pins and then 1 pin this clutch from retained if that was the case. So genetic madness of the dame it is xD

1 Like

Got bred with a tiger pied.

2 Likes

Yeah, then it definitely has to be the mother. Cant retain pin sperm if never bred to a pin.

2 Likes
  1. Correct for the first part. The second part, that I emphasized, I am not sure what you are saying
  2. Less the gene being present in the ovaries as a whole and more the gene making it into a single developing ovum cell

In theory, yes. But you could be looking at a 1:50 or 1:100 or 1:10,000 chance so perhaps not great odds

4 Likes

Then I definitely have a miracle hatchling lol.
So she’s a bamboo with the small chance that an ovary carries pinstripe?
Definitely crazy how Chimeras work, a hardcore game of odds.

2 Likes

Maybe

Like i said, there are multiple ways this could have happened and those were just the two that popped into my head over a couple minutes thinking. If I put a few hours into it I could probably come up with a few more ideas as well

We do not know for certain that your animal is actually a chimera. Again, it comes down to the actual nature of what happened with her and we cannot know that without some serious genetic analysis

5 Likes

I had meant pinstripe, not paradox xD

2 Likes