Ball Python Feeding

Hi! So I hear a lot of sources say “feed your Ball python every week” Now I don’t agree with that, but then there are other sources such as reptifiles.com saying “feed your Ball python every 14-28 days (>1500) and 28-56 days for ball pythons over 1500 grams.”

I’d like to hear how often everyone feeds their Ball pythons and if you have a guideline that you follow for how often.

Thanks!

4 Likes

Following for the info

2 Likes

I personally feed my hatchlings/juveniles every 5-7 days, and my sub-adults/adults every 14 days.

4 Likes

It depends on a few factors.

Is it a hatchling?
Hatchling feedling, any issues and how you over come them

Are you breeding this coming year?
Feeding & breeding Female

Are you trying to gain weight fast?
Grow ‘em Bigger, Faster…Breed sooner!

Personally, I’m not after bulking up any time soon so I feed every 10 days no matter the size. If someone doesn’t eat someone gets 2.

4 Likes

Without lots of explanation:

• Hatchlings under 300 - every 5 days
  • juveniles/subadults 300+ every 7 days
  • female breeding size and in pre breeding season every 5 days, and usually I’ll offer a second helping on the second night of feeding until they are gravid.
4 Likes

Thanks all!

My male is younger and smaller, he gets offered food every week, he recently went off food for almost a month. My female is probably 6-8months older than him and about double his weight, she gets offered food every 10days, and only because I’ve recently upgraded her prey size. Before that she was getting something smaller every week and was starting to become food aggressive. She has since calmed down.

1 Like

I feed my adults every 7 days but breeding females may get offered every 5 days and hatchlings get fed every 5-7 days

1 Like

During the time of year that I feed, I feed every 2-4 weeks.

4 Likes

I feed all of my adult breeders only 1 or 2 meals a month except for the couple weeks before they ovulate and 2-3 weeks after they lay. This includes my 3500-4500g females.

2 Likes

All my breeders have stopped feeding, they won’t eat not matter what, when, or how I offer. I continue to do so but they keep refusing.

1 Like