Can I just use a spare tub in rack to incubate eggs? + minimum temperatures

Is it Ok to use a rack tub system to incubate eggs? It would be heat mat type.
I have a few spare rack tubs. It would be over the heat mat section, not the cool end.
Not talking about maternal incubation.
Its my first year breeding royals. I have built a small incubator, but what if I need a bit more space or they dont all fit?
I have proper egg boxes for humidity,
Is it ok if needed to just put a proper egg box in a rack tub at ball python rack temps heated by heat mats? eg. 31c

Edtt: minimum incubation temperatures added to title based on post 7

3 Likes

If I encountered a situation where I had no room in the incubator I’d allow mom to maternal incubate before I ever used another rack. You’re essentially doing the same thing but with the help of mom. She will most likely lay the eggs right over the heat source.

3 Likes

Yes, i see your point, I think material incubation is the most natural way and the female would manage temps herself, possibly better than a thermostat.
but what about her needs with longer fasting? and the very high humidify for the eggs affecting her?
Is putting the eggs in a egg box in that position better or leaving them with the female for maternal incubation better?
I am leaning towards natural as you suggest, I am Just trying to learn. I don’t know.

1 Like

The good thing about putting the eggs in an incubator is that the mom can get back on food and you don’t have the worry of if she has the body condition to hold out for the duration of incubation. Both ways are done successfully but IMO for the mom to do it would seem to require more preparation and research to make the best possible odds and environment for the eggs survival

1 Like

You can use a rack to incubate eggs. They’ll hatch at any temp between 84-90*. They aren’t as sensitive as most people would lead you to believe. Lower temps=longer incubation time, and that’s about the extent of the difference.

3 Likes

As long as they are in an egg box, have the right humidity, and are at the right temperature there isn’t a difference between a rack and an incubator.

3 Likes

Firstly thanks every one who has posted. I have leaned from each one and have had my question answered in full and also thought more confidently about paternal incubation.
Yes i will use a rack in an emergency and want to try paternal if the female has sufficient fat reserves.

This was a wonderful surprise learning point for me. ‘Minimum safe incubation temperatures’ as opposed to the tiny temperature range advised, the only place I had previously seen lower recommendations than the internet was here @t_h_wyman prefered (not minimum) incubation temps of 86f/30C.

Thanks for the info both. I will probably go for 30 but now not scared if it goes a bit below.
It was not what I was asking so I didn’t expect it here, but I have been looking for this information online for ages unsuccessfully.
That gives incubation set ups so many other possibilities beyond the normal ones if you don’t mind waiting a little longer. It also reassures me about small temperature fluctuations.

(I have edited and added minimum temps to the title to hopefully help others find that information)

1 Like

This whole discussion has been really cool to read. I am thankful for everyone’s input too @ascended!

1 Like

If your tubs are set up right, there is no need for an egg box even.

Early in my breeding years, I set up a spare 28q rack for incubating. Worked fine. Just make certain you have it set up and temps dialed in waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of time so you know the right spot in each tub for the temps you want. Nothing sucks worse than trying to dial in the right temps while eggs are sitting in the tubs

Small correction here - Maternal. “Paternal” means ‘father’ and the males will just sit there and stare at the eggs like “what the heck is this thing?? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:”

3 Likes

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like