Cappuccino, frappaccino, melanistic crested gecko [DONE]

Gene Request Form

Please fill the below form out to the best of your ability. Answers do not need to be lengthy. If appropriate you may forward this request to someone who is more able to supply the answers.

Facts

Species: Correlophus ciliatus
Name of Gene: Cappuccino, frappaccino, melanistic
First produced by whom: RCK (Reptile City Korea)
Year: 2020
Genetics Type (Incdom/Codom/Recessive/Polygenic/etc): believed to be codom.
In complex with other genes?: N/A
Other names/aliases for it?: N/A
Description: change in pattern and coloration. Breeding two cappuccino together will produce a melanistic/translucent crested gecko.

Appearance: What it does/looks like? Cappuccino can be distinguished by their white tail base and different patterning. Melanistic/translucent is an all grey/black gecko with black eyes.
Proven: To what degree it is proven out to not just be polygenic? Yes, proven to be genetic.
Unique: Why do you believe this is a new morph and not an existing one? No other crested gecko produces anything like these.
Related Genes: N/A
Problems: Any problems? None
Other History: Any additional history?
Disagreement or Controversy:
References here on the community: Cappuccino, Frappaccino, Melanistic Crested Geckos

At least one link to community discussion (ie forums) to demonstrate community acceptance
Link to WOBP if exists
Please attach 1-3 photos you have rights to which you are granting to be used on MorphMarket .

5 Likes

This template contains both “gene addition” and “gene review” forms, please delete the one which is not applicable to your request

Gene Request Form

Please fill the below form out to the best of your ability. Answers do not need to be lengthy. If appropriate you may forward this request to someone who is more able to supply the answers.

Facts

Species: Crested Gecko
Name of Gene: Cappuccino (Co-Dom) - Melanistic (Super) - Frappuccino (Cappuccino x Lilly White)
First produced by whom: Reptile City Korea
Year: 2020
Genetics Type (Incdom/Codom/Recessive/Polygenic/etc): Co-Dom/Super
In complex with other genes?: Cappuccino x Cappuccino makes a super known as a Melanistic
Other names/aliases for it?: unknown
Description:
Cappuccino’s were first identified in 2020 by Reptile City Korea by breeding two cappuccino’s together which resulted in the world’s first melanistic crested gecko. Since that time Cappuccino’s have also been bred to lilly whites creating Frappuccino’s (Cappuccino x Lilly White). You can read more in this article.

Appearance: What it does/looks like? Cappuccino - Y at base of tail, spotted or muted markings along bottom of spine. Lacks pattern on laterals.
Melanistic - dark no crest, almost translucent looking.
Frappuccino - Looks like a lilly white that had a Cappuccino poured over it.

Proven: To what degree it is proven out to not just be polygenic? Multiple breeders in South Korea have proven it out and are readily shipping them to the US. Specialty Herps of the US has hatched one melanistic cappuccino from breeding a pair of cappuccino’s together that they purchased from South Korea. They also have produced multiple cappuccino’s and the statistical numbers of production have been consistent with a codominant trait.

Unique: Why do you believe this is a new morph and not an existing one? Readily identiable characteristics that do not appear in any other crested gecko morph. The breeding of the crested geckos that exhibit these markings has resulted in offspring that is consistent with codominant morph genetic reproduction.

Related Genes:
Unknown

Problems: Any problems?
None reported at this time.

Other History: Any additional history?
Multiple crested gecko breeders in the US have purchased these from at least three different South Korean breeders who have reproduced them. It is possible there are many more breeders in South Korea working with them.

Disagreement or Controversy:
Have not heard of any since multiple breeders reproduced the same results as Reptile City Korea.

References here on the community:

At least one link to community discussion (ie forums) to demonstrate community acceptance
Link to WOBP if exists
Please attach 1-3 photos you have rights to which you are granting to be used on MorphMarket.

5 Likes

Welcome to the community!

I’m loving this being added but I’m still so confused as to how to tell you have a Cappuccino out not. Same with Frappuchino. I’ve read the articles and it’s still unclear to me.

I believe they are likely to have small head structure, if so I think that’s important to put on the report.

Has melanistic been bred yet to know if it is safe? If not that’s also important info.

I’m just really curious and want the info to be as accurate as possible to avoid miscommunication further down the line.
Both me and @ghoulishcresties have been trying to get info on these and I’m still stumped

3 Likes

I am stumped here too. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Glad I’m not the only one. I have my ideas as to what makes a Frappuchino stand out from a lily white, but thought I should ask for factual information rather than speculate as I have only seen online pics so could be completely wrong

1 Like

This should help for those who dont understand what they are looking at. It was actually written by the person who first discovered it. It is better to get the information from the horses mouth so to speak than someone who doesn’t actually work with the gene as they can explain it in a way for people to understand

RCK have actually posted a thread up on here about everything :blush:

1 Like
1 Like

Thank you, but yes we continued our discussion in the morphpedia thread

1 Like

Wondering if we should add Extreme Cresties onto here?
He’s been working on an unrelated cap, super cap line to RCK and he may of actually been first to discover them.
He’s not said much, but he’s been working on secret projects for years and he’s actually just released a few now.

1 Like

Create a new topic and fill in the template with what you know :blush:

We can get the discussion rolling!

2 Likes

I’ll send over to Tom and see if he’s happy filling it all out. Can you sent the template again? :relaxed:

2 Likes

Just click new topic in this category and it’ll appear automatically :wink:

2 Likes

Sent over to him, though I have asked him to join too :grin:

3 Likes

There are currently some on mm from Extreme Cresties

2 Likes

Yeah that’s what I was saying.
Looks like he was the first :grin:

2 Likes

I just found out 2 days ago that I stumbled upon a possible cappuccino, I’m planning to prove her out but I have multiple people asking me to loan her out to them and have them prove her. Not sure what to do as I’m very new at this. :woman_shrugging: This is her

3 Likes

Unsure if a cap personally, I know the breeder here in the uk with them for sale, and they look different to that own. As do RCK look different.

LI actually had one similar to yours back along, and a young one now but with white flashing just started to appear.

But all means try prove her out but looks a lot different to the caps we know of.

I wouldn’t personally loan her either.
If someone wants to loan their male and you split clutches with them when babies are ready to leave then fair enough, but do not give her to someone else…
females should always stay with the owner and the male come to you as you can stress her moving her about when laying or carrying eggs which can cause issues.
That’s how it’s done usually, the loaner males go to the females home.

3 Likes

I have no idea if capp, but definitely try to prove her out.

I agree with above, do not send her to someone else. Get the male to come to you.

Let us know how you get on

2 Likes

@reptilecitykorea @tennyscrestedgeckos

Can we add The Sorak on please? :black_heart:

Lilly Mel / Super Capp Lillywhite!

Thankyou guys, would be awesome to add them on also :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like