Check out my blood and short-tailed pythons - and share yours!

My fave feature of bloods are their heads. That flat top, blunt nosed, triangular head and squared eye, nose ridges. Just looks bad@$$ on a big bodied frame. Ive seen some hybrids and i gotta admit, not a fan. The top of the head behind the eyes round or mound up. The nose changes completely, and the ridges from nose to eye round off. Kinda looks lightbulb shaped. They all look like Roger the alien from American Dad, lol. But if some bp genes got worked in and a few generations of blood genes got bred with that i might like the end result when they look like Brongersmai again.

5 Likes

Exactly!!!

I love the red and yellow of t+ and I got hets on purpose simply because I want the clutch variety. I want to see a little bit of everything when babies hatch out. They may not have as many genes to work with as some other species but what we do have is pretty stunning.

3 Likes

I agree about short-tail heads, they’re so awesome. I love how angular they are. So striking and unique. And I love their eyes. Honestly, there’s not really anything I don’t love about them. They’re just amazing snakes. Getting my blood python has been such a dream come true for me. :green_heart:

4 Likes

To me, their eyes always look like they’re very concerned about something.

4 Likes

Yeah, they have very serious-looking faces, haha. Unlike, say, ball pythons or sand boas, who have perpetual derpy smiles, short-tails always look sort of serious and contemplative.

4 Likes

I’ve heard they are a more difficult snake to keep bc of the amount of liquid urine they produce, have any of you found this to be a big deterrant?

2 Likes

Yes, they definitely do. You have to make sure your enclosure is well sealed and clean frequently.

8 Likes

I don’t find it to be a deterrent, but it does necessitate more frequent substrate changes and “deep cleans” as opposed to just the spot cleans you can often get away with for many other species. It’s honestly not all that big a deal, it’s just something to be aware of.

4 Likes

I can only share my experience with two bloods. I keep mine in 5x2 tubs on about 4 inches of coco coir substrate. A good pee might require 1/4 needing to be removed. I spray area with probiotic enzyme and add some new substrate. Every month i strip tubs down and sanitize. Fecal movements are few and far between. Also quite impressive. Luckily they seem to avoid the pile so spot cleaning is a breeze. Fingers crossed it stays like that.

5 Likes

Can you recommend a product?

5 Likes

I’m also curious about this cleaning product. I’ve just been using diluted chlorhexidine after removing the soiled substrate.

2 Likes

Ive been using Natural Chemistry Healthy Habitat. Twenty four bucks a gallon. Im sure there are plenty of other brands too.

7 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Ah, I didn’t even consider the enclosure being well sealed, thank you!

1 Like

Silicone aquarium sealant works very well.

4 Likes

12 Likes

He wants me dead.

9 Likes

But he sure is beautiful!

4 Likes

I get to add to this next month properly :smirk:

2 Likes

That’s so awesome!! I think you’ll love these guys. I seem to remember reading something about you getting a Borneo in another thread…?