Devastated and heartbroken

I’m sorry to hear that but logically she would have gone to a good home because I doubt someone would risk an expensive animal in subpar care.
As far as legal action, from what I’ve heard everything needs to be paid back, there’s no such thing as giving, borrowing, or free in court unless there’s proof that it didn’t need paid back. I think it would default to needing to be paid back.

4 Likes

She did and she didn’t.
While yes, she got away with it this one time.
You stuck to guns, didn’t cave, and sent her packing.
Also, you now know not to trust her in these circumstances.
She had a home where (I’m assuming) she had a lot of leeway and freedom, and now she won’t.
As for the money, you could try to press charges, but honestly, it’s not worth the effort considering it sounds like shes out of state, or at least a good enough distance that itll just cost you more to pursue this through than to just drop it.
Like @erie-herps pointed out; at least whoever’s got him will be taking care of him.
One last thing you could try is to check any other local pet shops in your area, maybe she sold it to one of them?
Either way, so long as a lesson was learned on your part, however cruel it seems, then you’re the won who still came out on top.

6 Likes

Yeah, that’s true… but still no written agreement that she was meant to pay for him. It was all a verbal agreement. No deposit was even made before she took him from me.

She’s also a minor still so I don’t know if she can even be held liable for the “loss of property/damages” she caused to my business.

2 Likes

That is true. We pretty much gave her free reign while living with us, she could do whatever as long as she got her chores done and paid us what she owed for her phone bill and phone payment itself.

She also got her own room and privacy with us… unfortunately for her she won’t get that with my adopted parent because they live in a 5th wheel.

She went back to Oregon, and I’m in Indiana. So unlikely I’d be able to do much now, unless she does end up coming back to get her stuff.
I could sell her stuff to try and make up for the loss, I’m not sure yet though.

6 Likes

You could likely make a case for it, if threatened with the prospect of paying for him she might just give you a lead on where to find him.

4 Likes

I think you’re right about trying to press any charges- it would probably require travel & significant expense. Edit: I like @erie-herps 's idea of threatening action in order to try and get a lead.

Though I know I would sell her stuff (or at least throw it all away) to teach her a lesson, that’s just the choice that would be right for me. I feel like you’ll know what’s best for you better than I will- I think either course of action is 100% valid. Though if you have completely irreplaceable things of extreme importance to her, you might save just those few things & return them in several years, if you’re feeling magnanimous, and if she pays you back for Moon.

7 Likes

I unfortunately have a final update for this.

My sister and I got into a big argument today, and she had one of her friends reach out to me to ask if they can pick up her stuff tomorrow.

I was going through the dresser in her room, taking stuff out of it so it’d be easier to gather up… until I got to the very bottom drawer.

I found him like this. 3 months later.

So she didn’t sell him… but he’s still not alive and she was responsible for him last.

He’s so shriveled up, he must have been dead the entire time or most of the time he’s been “missing”… so I don’t know if she accidentally killed him and hid the evidence until she left, or what… I can’t tell if there’s any damage to him because of how wrinkly he is.

4 Likes

No!!!
Omg I am so so sorry :cry:
Bloody hell that made me shed tears… That poor boy, I really freaking hope she didn’t do it on purpose and I am so sorry you had to find him like that…
I cannot get over this… I really hope you are doing ok Holly :pensive::heart:

8 Likes

My freaking heart… I can’t :sob: I’m so sorry for your loss of this sweet little one. Ugh :pensive:

5 Likes

Ugh, I’m so sorry. That really sucks.

5 Likes

Oh no, I am so sorry for your loss :sob:
Have you confronted your sister about it yet?

5 Likes

No, because she likely won’t admit to anything and it’d just be more problems and drama for me to deal with… so it’s kinda pointless really

6 Likes

I sobbed when I found him, I was in shock and now just feel numb.
I’m trying not to blame myself though, as hard as it is not to. My snakes are my babies and they all mean a lot to me, even the ones I end up selling for one reason or another… like Moon here.

9 Likes

That really is terrible. I’ll be praying for you and for your sister.

4 Likes

I am so sorry for your loss. I literally have no idea what else to say, I’m just shocked

5 Likes

I’m so sorry Holly. I wish she would just had come clean and tried to make amends from the start instead of having things go the way they did. I’m sorry this poor snake lost its life in all this bs. Poor lil cutie :cry:.

I’m here for you if you need me Holly as is the entire community here. If you need to vent/talk/need support feel free to reach out to me here or on discord.

8 Likes

Very heart breaking to come to realize this. But perhaps a small piece of closure can come from the discovery. I won’t stop the hurt, but it might ease the mind. The most important thing here is that it isn’t your fault.

You and your family will have our prayers.

8 Likes

I am so, so sorry. Please know that I am thinking of you and Moon. At least now you know for certain that he’s not suffering and is at peace. :heart:

7 Likes

I just found this thread, but I am so so sorry no one should ever have to find a pet that way that is absolutely heart breaking :disappointed:

5 Likes

This is terrible, I’m so sorry to hear this. I still don’t understand how someone could let this happen. It’s not your fault so don’t blame yourself.

5 Likes