IMG Boa Thread

I bet the light and dark phases are absolutely gorgeous on this one. The colors are so going to get better as it ages.

5 Likes

The pics don’t do it any justice. Shows up better in vids. Excited to see how they’re looking after their 2nd second shed.

6 Likes

Finally captured her color this morning.

7 Likes

Those sides definitely show that IMG doing it work! Such a gorgeous snake.

3 Likes

@schmeeee123

Poor babys, why would you put their heads on an ink pad? :rofl: I’m just joking. They both look nice. I’m looking forward to seeing them in 6 months or so. Should be fantastic looking by then.

4 Likes

Getting even better with more size :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

We had nice weather so tried taking some pics of our bigger animals.
She’s a 2019 hypo jungle IMG het anery, pos albino.

Haven’t made the decision on which male I’m going to try with her yet…

Here are old pics.

Here are new pics.

Maybe those will show some of the color change as they grow?

10 Likes

Unless I misunderstand one of these genes, I’m confused on the interaction here. Hypo reduces the amount of melanin expressed, although not fully, lightening and brightening the animal. IMG gradually increases the melanin output across the animal as it ages, increasing in darkness and surface area. Yes? If so (I’m assuming I’m wrong there somewhere), how does the lightening AND darkening impact this animal’s colors? Did she darken slower, or will end up lighter than a non-hypo IMG?

4 Likes

Beautiful animal regardless of my gene confusion!!

2 Likes

Beautiful boa you have there.

2 Likes

Great to see the change over time. Looks like the IMG won but I like how you can still see some of the detail in the pattern on her. Great looking IMG

6 Likes

When an animal is IMG hypo, the baby looks like a hypo with some IMG accenting. And this allows for a more cream colored background as the IMG comes through. This usually ends up with the adults, having more pattern for longer, and it being a more drastic change. Personally, I absolutely love hypo IMGs. You get that drastic change, but you also do end up with that really dark animal opposed to if you add jungle which would actually change the pattern and it would actually make the base colors lighter and it would take a longer time for the Black of the IMG to fill it in.

7 Likes

Oh I see, thank you for the explanation!
This genetics stuff is tricky, and I’m a glutton for punishment so I’m also trying to learn for cresties and I swear they don’t follow ANY of the rules :rofl:

3 Likes

Thanks all!
Yeah, the IMG is stronger than the hypo, so hypo IMGs still get darker.

I forgot to say she is pos super hypo, but I am just guessing she’s not. lol

Here on the other hand is a super hypo IMG.

He is still dark, but not as dark as that girl.

6 Likes

So, I need a super hypo IMG now. I really like the look of that one, great contrast between those genes.

6 Likes

Here’s a 2017 model. I need to take some better full body outdoor pics.

11 Likes

Reviving this thread because I just wanted to share my new baby. She’s a dream snake of mine - an IMG motley boa! She’s only 1.5 months old and already getting dark

12 Likes

She’s gorgeous! I am so happy she got to you safe and sound! You are going to have some explaining to do when ember shows back up lol!

4 Likes

Beautiful! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

@anon5387911 Miss Nova could be anyone’s dream snake! How is she doing btw? And what substrate is she on? It looks so natural! Is she eating well for you?

Feel free to post updates anytime because we want to keep up with her progress!

You’re a good snake keeper @anon5387911! :heart::blush:

5 Likes