Investment animals

Hey! I am looking for a investment animal which one do you think would be the best? I am not really on the ball python train this would be my first snakes though let me know what you think!

2 Likes

Rosy boas make great starting snakes. There are some great morphs out there such as Limburg snow, Snow-Whites, Matrix, picassos. Some of the morphs fetch a pretty penny. Rosy boas are easy to care for and don’t require tons of special conditions.

I have 3 Rosy boas 1 albino Whitewater 1 Limburg Coastal Snow and one Albino Matrix of the Limburg line.

I will be breeding my male Limburg Coastal Snow to my Female Matrix. All the offspring will be albino with Matrix marking pattern Limburg line Coastal anery het snow. These babies should be sought-after and be very valuable.

I cannot breed my female albino Whitewater because her genes are incompatible with my Limburg line because she has amber eyes not red.

8 Likes

I’ve got one word for you.

BOA!

11 Likes

Buy whichever snake makes you super excited to take care of it and work with it, and is mentioned as plausible for beginners… That’s how I ended up with an African House Snake. He’s had his troubles but I’ve had reptile experience before… So yeah also factoring in is your previous experience amount. Someone who’s taken care of sick reptiles before but not snakes might be more familiar with climate zones and adjusting hydration/humidification parameters than say someone who’s only had a cat.

But do get whatever makes your heart sing! Rosy boas, Antaresia pythons, corn snakes, and sometimes hognoses or kingsnakes/milksnakes or African House Snakes are all great non-BPs

14 Likes

What I will say that I have had hands on experience with a lot of snakes does that change anything?

2 Likes

If you want to try and get someone’s attention so they will reply, make sure you tag them in your post, @reticlover4life . HERE is more info about the forum in general. :wink:

7 Likes

Easy. Invest in either the super arctic, lavender or sable projects in hognoses. You will not be disappointed with hognoses. They are probably in the top three colubrids you could possibly get, and the babys could be worth some decent money if you have some good sales and marketing skills.

8 Likes

I am confused about your question. Do you mean to imply what snake can you buy that will not go down in value, and will instead go up in value? Because if you are just buying a snake to sell later you will 99% of the time be taking a loss.

If you are looking for a type to breed that you can make a profit off of selling the young, youll have to do some market data collection to see what is selling most often, for the most amount, and then assume that as more of it becomes available, the price will lower gradually.

Buying a young snake and selling it at breeding age does look like you would make money, but when you add all the costs to get it that age, youll find youve spent far more than you made.

It is not like buying a trading card, or collectible card, where they get more valueble. As breeds become more available they depreciate, they arent getting more rare.

7 Likes

You also have me confused here. It is your first snake, but have had alot if hands in experience with snakes.

If you mean youve handled alot of snakes, but never taken care of one, then it doesnt really matter at all as that wouldnt give you experience on how to care for them. Picking a snake up and keeping it alive are two very different things, so even if youve handles them alot, i would still start with an easy to care for breed that is more forgiving of inexperience. Once youve had some time to learn how to be a caretaker / owner, then you could move on to less hardy breeds.

5 Likes

Thanks so much you answered the question

4 Likes

When you feel like you have the right setup and are comfortable I’d suggest a FLRT suriname F3 boa or a nice Argentine boa. Both solid investment snakes IMO. Matt Cook is on here as well and he has some great boas too.

3 Likes

Glad i could help, im still a bit confused haha, but as long as i conveyed the info you needed, all is well :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Boas are great, popular and easy to take care of but super variable between morph boas, localities, locality-morphs, sub species etc. (Boas are like their own sub culture, especially BCC/BCI and the other sub species) Only real downside is how long they take to get to breeding size and you can’t do as much of the “2 female to 1 male” type thing compared to BPs and others. Hognose Snakes are also easy, small, and imo underserved, as in more demand than supply, especially for morphs. So a recessive that will stay popular may be good.

But get something that excites you and you want to work with, then keep it for a while and then go for breeding. I didn’t like BPs all that much compared to boas, then I took in a rescue and fell in love! I also keep a couple locality boas and want to breed them eventually too, but BPs will be a good second scene to have fun in. Good luck! It’s a fun journey to start and keep up.

2 Likes

Keep a bunch of stuff you think you like for 5 years at least. Then if you still like it get a bunch of your favorite and keep that for probably another 4-5 years til they’re old enough to breed. If that sounds like too much work then this isn’t for you.

7 Likes

To Womalover1234; This is my first post so I hope I do this correctly! I have a corn, a hoggie, a house snake, a BP, a Brazilian Rainbow boa and 3 Central American Jungle boas ( a baby and it’s parents).

My little corn snake has the best personality but my adult boas are my favorite by far because of their chill out demeanor.

All my guys are pets however, so I too am a little confused about the “investment” part of your question……

3 Likes

I was too but i figured maybe they meant what animals would be a good investment in a future plan of breeding.

Animals are not like buying a collector item that will appreciate, the offspring may be valuable but that depends on if people are wanting to pay.

3 Likes

Lol! Actually I suppose I did invest in my two Central American boas. They were tiny babies when I bought them in 2018 (from the same breeder) and since they were male and female I kept them together in a Boaphile enclosure. This past May 26th I discovered 11 live boa babies under the mom. I had separated the male from her a few months ago because he had stopped eating. I was shocked to say the least because I didn’t plan this.

I sold 8 of them, gave 2 away to friends, and kept one for myself. But never again will I put mom and dad back together in the same enclosure!! Ever! Lol!

2 Likes

Yeah pretty sure thats how babies are made :joy:, im no expert though :joy: :joy: :joy:.

4 Likes

@rmleone lol

@caron yeah I meant like the future breeding plan :grin:

1 Like