Is my bearded dragon ok?!

Hello MM been a while since I posted but thats not the point my beardie keeps worrying me so I got to talk about it ASAP.

So my bearded dragon is a male about 13-14 months old
And he seems to exhibit some behaviors that befuddle me.

1. since it got cold he stopped moving, he sleeps ALL DAY he finds the darkest place in the tank and sleeps, all the time, I thought it was brumation but its april now and nothing has changed, in fact now he doesn’t want to eat greens but that is begun to improve. but its more the fact that he rarely poops and he doesn’t bask, at all but heres the thing he eats bugs, but without a bath he won’t poop, another thing is he seems thin, I feed him but he is only like 16-18 in I haven’t weighed or measured him in a while but he looks thing and small, am I over reacting? (also pls don’t say go to the vet “just to be safe” the only reason my parents will take me to the vet is if I have real full reason to be concerned because we don’t have any good vets where I live anyways so it could be a very long drive")
4 Likes

Can you post a picture of your dragon. All the temps fine? I would say you should get to weighing the dragon so you can be sure if hes actually losing weight.

3 Likes

sure give me a couple minutes

3 Likes

he is about 182 grams, (note when i got him he was 170) plus he doesn”t poop much.

3 Likes

Thats odd, he looks small. Our male basked quite a bit and ate everything we offered. If he starts losing weight and deteriorates I’d definitely get him to a vet.

3 Likes

my parents have a rule “if he loses weight we can take him to the vet” thats basically the rule so i can do that if he does.

3 Likes

oh btw do you know any good vets in the state of va?

2 Likes

I personally do not, I’m in Florida. I’d start with a search in your area on google for exotic vets

2 Likes

Check here: Member Search - Association of Reptile and Amphibian Veterinarians

3 Likes

I sure hopes he gets better! What kind of substrate is he on? Could he be impacted by any chance? I’m hoping your parents will be understanding about your little buddy! He is a very cute little guy!

2 Likes

I’d say Brumation.

Taken from online:

Bearded dragons brumate during colder months and can enter a state of brumation even before winter starts – as early as April and May in the Southern Hemisphere and October or November in the Northern Hemisphere.

5 Likes

no substrate just a mat.

2 Likes

100% needs to see a vet.

I live in Northern VA. I moved here recently and have had an initial good impression with SEAVS

3 Likes

What are the exact temps in his enclosure and hotspot? How are you measuring them?

3 Likes

let me make sure I understand that you think he needs to see a vet correct?

2 Likes

It’s good that he is on a mat. If he is starting to eat greens, that is a great sign. @noodlehaus @dsed @ghoulishcresties @ashleyraeanne Do any of you guys think maybe this beardie would benefit from a live pinkie to jumpstart his appetite? I am wondering if he can’t quite shake off his brumation to start eating normally? Maybe this would help his pooping problem? If there is not much inside him there is not much to poop out?

This is just a wacky thought though…… any thoughts?

3 Likes

I dont think a pinkie would do anything at this point, I’d say a vet visit would be best in my opinion. Then again, dont know until you try👍

2 Likes

You are probably right. I suppose it would be a guessing game without a vet exam…… thank you! :blush:

2 Likes

Yes, I do. Hopefully the post I linked to will help you find a reptile-specific vet that works for you.

3 Likes

My reasoning for asking what his temps are is to rule that out before the vet is needed, but my question has yet to be answered. He is a very dark color compared to normal, which can mean a few things. 1: he is too cold. 2: He is stressed and scared. 3: He is just coming out of brumation. 4: he is sick. There are a few other reasons for darkened colors, but those are the main ones. So without the temp information, I say a vet visit is a good plan too. And if he rarely poops that is probably due to lack of heat for digestion or a sign something is wrong.

4 Likes