Let’s see some Inverts

4 Likes

Your cage lights are giving me ideas :smirk:

2 Likes

Haha, is it just me or does this P. gigas look like it’s got angry eyes?

10 Likes

Stunning! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: one of my favorite T species

4 Likes

My largest Versi. Still not that large

10 Likes

Still blue so still a kid T I see. I would love to have a C versi T. They are prob my new world of choice with P metallica being my dream old world. (I think I like aboreal T’s more than the chunker terrestrial ones).

5 Likes

These guys turn pink as an adult, right?

1 Like

Yeah pinks blues and purples

3 Likes

Sweet love that color combination

2 Likes

10 Likes

8 Likes

Yesterday I got another species of isopod. Porcellio pruinosus, powder blue/orange isopods. They came in the same container so I split them into color morphs and through artificial selection, hopefully improve the color.

11 Likes

Awesome! I keep oranges, myself, so if you have any questions, let me know! I’ll be sure to bug you about them the more I see them, too.

6 Likes

9 Likes

First questions:
How long do they typically take to breed once the colony is first started?
What foods do you feed and is it good to offer a variety?

5 Likes

Powder Oranges breed pretty fast, in comparison to say Magic Potions, so you should see mancae within a week or so. These take a little more humidity to thrive, so I made sure I put a couple different types of moss in with them, because they didn’t seem to reproduce very quickly until I had the humidity over 50-60%. As far as food goes, I’ve been using Repashy Bug Burger, Repashy Morning Wood, sometimes by themselves and sometimes mixed 50/50. The Morning Wood tends to grow mold quickly on its own, I didn’t notice it as much with the Bug Burger and 50/50 mix, but I also have a good springtail colony in there with them to combat mite infestation. They like a number of different raw foods, I see carrots and cucumbers disappear the fastest, but I haven’t tried too many other things with them. And of course leaf litter. I haven’t tried it with my Powder Oranges yet, but isopods also break down and eat snake skin, like shedded skins, it’s a good source of calcium for them. I can speak for the Magic Potions on that note, though, they blew up after I started giving them snake sheds.

6 Likes

Thank you! That’s very helpful. I don’t have any snakes (yet) so sheds aren’t an option. Would cuttlebone pieces work as an alternative and should I add them?

4 Likes

I’ve never seen or read anything that says you shouldn’t, and they break down all kinds of stuff for calcium, so try it out! Maybe we’ll both learn something new.

4 Likes

If you look closely, you can see them all full of carrot.

12 Likes

I added a piece of cuttlebone to the tub. Because we all love experiments I made the piece exactly 1.00 grams. I’ll check weekly to see how much it weighs.

6 Likes