Let’s see some Inverts

I forgot to account for a variable. Absorption of moisture. It was 1.20g (20% increase) when I checked it. I cut it down to 1.00g again and hopefully it won’t gain too much more that it will ruin the experiment.

6 Likes

9 Likes

Went to the desert and scored some of these:

Artema atlanta, the giant pholcid. Alot stouter and more powerfully built than other pholcidae, these are widow-hunters, seldom make their own webbing and prefer to use their victim’s web. In the USA you only find these in AZ and CA. Likely arrived with date palm saplings sent overseas from the mediterranean.

9 Likes

Ephebopus rufescens

7 Likes

I’ve not seen that species before. Very Cool!

3 Likes

Looking good so far, they haven’t left mom yet, but they’re growing well!

9 Likes

Hey, @erie-herps ! How did the cuttlebone experiment work out?

2 Likes

Callobius severus- ‘Redwood Hacklemesh-weaver’

decided they were worth the effort for breeding due to the brilliant red color and large size.

10 Likes

Wow :scream:
That red is making me want spiders :exploding_head:

2 Likes

Definitely. the best amaurobiid spider i can think of. I do like pictus and other similar species, but severus just looks awesome lol

Now i cant figure out whether ‘severus’ refers to them lacking the marking that pictus and other Callobius species possess, or is a reference to them being really really bitey and aggressive when hunting prey. whatever the case i love em lol

4 Likes

9 Likes

7 Likes

I’m not positive if humidity has anything to do with it since last time I checked it was 0.95g which seems very low. I did see an isopod feeding off of it and I’ll check when I can (Next week’s when I can check next).

4 Likes

Breeding Geolycosa gosoga ‘Blue earth wolf’

13 Likes

What a stunning spider!

4 Likes

Agreed! They’re one of the more difficult wolves to care for, they need sand and clay substrate or else they just get all sad and miserable and ceaselessly attempt to escape.

The slings are rather difficult to care for- tiny roaches

3 Likes

One of my latest projects: Rhachocnemis validus - ‘Coast Sand-Treader’ They’re pretty entertaining to observe, just plain play sand saturated and misted daily to replicate their pacific northwest climate- very mild, rarely exceeding 70 f.

7 Likes

8 Likes

@mbullock42086 those are interesting looking. Never considered having anything like that as a pet.

@sacred-royals that’s a nice collection!

2 Likes

Thank you. I’ve only just recently got into that tarantula hobby. Mainly into snakes and lizards. But they super interesting pets. I started off with 4 now I have 14 :joy:

3 Likes