Love is in the air!

I usually start pairing my balls in October and November. This has always seemed to be the best time for my collection. Since I only bred a few pairs last season due to various reasons, I’m super excited for my season this year! Thought I would show some of the first confirmed breedings so far. Blackhead firefly x bumblebee and mocha yellowbelly, Huffman blast x black pewter ghost and lemon blast het clown, and super sable vanilla x butter het clown!

13 Likes

Congrats! Lots of awesome pairings there.

I’m trying to start some pairings myself, but my males aren’t locking yet :joy: The spider axanthic male I wanted to breed last year wasn’t old enough, and this year he still doesn’t seem to want to breed.

At least my banana pied male seemed to be trying. Even though he had the wrong end in this pic :joy::joy:
Some of my other females I won’t be pairing until later in the season, based on when they laid before.

7 Likes

@trnreptiles thanks! They will figure it out, young males aren’t always the best breeders for sure! That’s why I always have a few old men on standby! I usually have to stagger my pairings a bit because have females that breed at different times! My white wedding pied just laid last month! Wish they would all go at the same time lol. Should be a interesting year for me will be breeding children’s and super dwarf retics as well! Good luck with your pairings!

6 Likes

Yeah, both males are first timers so I might have to try some tricks to get them to lock.
The female I’m pairing with my banana pied is also a first timer and around 1400 grams, so that’s gonna be fun trying to get them to breed.
But good luck with your pairings as well! I certainly hope I have the same if not better success as I did with my first season.

3 Likes

@trnreptiles try putting another males shed in with the female if you have one

1 Like

Congratulations on the locks! I will probably start pairing in around January through March since my proven breeders laid in December of '19 for the people I bought them from. May the odds be in your favor when hatching time comes around!

1 Like

I actually do have a shed from one of my proven males I’ve yet to pull from his tub, so I’ll go ahead and try that. I also have another proven male that is in blue so I’ll have a fresh shed from him soon too. Thanks!

2 Likes

@trnreptiles if they are ready you usually don’t have to do much! They will take care of it. Keep in mind not every female will breed the same time of year. So if your not having luck give it a break and try again a month or two. And I hope you have a better season! But don’t get discouraged if you don’t! They don’t always breed when we want them to.

1 Like

Oh yeah, I know! My spider female didn’t start developing her follicles until the springtime this year. Her babies just started hatching a few days ago.

My proven female (she’s a pastel het axanthic) started locking around September last year, so I would think she’d start locking again around this time as well.

Either way, I’ll just keep an eye on things and just keep pairing once a month. It’ll happen or it won’t.

1 Like

@trnreptiles my females who laid the year before will usually lay a couple months later than the year before. But some females won’t lay back to back years.

1 Like

@nathan_e good luck!!! Don’t get discouraged if they don’t breed for you this year. A lot of adult females won’t breed the first year they are in your collection. But a lot will! So I hope yours are the latter. The lemon blast Huffman and lemon blast are two that I hatched myself. They were smoking hatchlings! So hoping for a flamethrower clutch there lol!

1 Like

Mind if I ask what your super dwarf project is? I’m always interested to see what others are doing with super dwarfs.

3 Likes

@mnroyals sure! I only have a pair they are 4 years old right now. The male is a tiger platinum 62.5%super dwarf 12.5%dwarf. The female is a tiger 50% super dwarf. I would say they won’t grow much more at all. The male is around 6 foot. And the female is around 9 foot. Although I admit I haven’t ever really measured them. I’m hoping they will breed this upcoming season. I haven’t attempted breeding them yet. Oh the male is also het anery but I doubt I will ever prove that out. I may at some point add another male with some different genes. And I plan on holding back a female super tiger platinum if and when the time comes! I’ve had them both since hatchlings. I love them and wish I had more. But they take up way more space and way more time. So I have a pair for now because that is what I feel comfortable owning right now lol.

4 Likes

That’s a nice pairing. I think those are nice sized adults too, not to small and still very manageable. I like them around 8-10 ft for females, 6-8 for males.

Good luck with the pairing attempts. I’m sure you know but given they will breed any time of year, you definitely have to opportunity with how old they are. Hopefully your female is ready, I’ve heard some can take up to 7 years to be willing to breed. I hope I don’t experience that lol.

Oh and there is a way to pick up a het Anery indicator in hatchlings. Prehistoric Pets has a good video on it, I believe from 2014 or 2015.
Het Anery tics can appear gray/silver toned at hatching. Once they shed it goes away considerably, but when right out of the egg, they almost appear Anery in appearance. So that could help you distinguish if your hatchlings carry the pos het.
Good luck man and keep us updated!

4 Likes

@mnroyals Thanks I’ll have to look into that for sure! Think I seen a video somewhere that Metcalf reptiles showed the same thing. I’ve never bred retics be for so it should be interesting. Short tail pythons are the biggest I’ve bred in the past. I’m hoping she’s ready! She hasn’t got any longer in a while but has but on some girth over the last year. For sure awesome animals! Can’t wait to hatch some out and spread some sd love around St. Louis. I have a lot of people here waiting for a pair!

3 Likes

Yeah Aaron does a good job of explaining the Anery traits too. I had a chance to speak with him and Hartle at Tinley 2018. Definitely learned a lot in the half hour to an hour I spoke with them.

With your experience breeding, I’m sure you’ll get a clutch soon. I’ve never breed tics myself either, but helped 2 of my friends with some clutches, and something about it is just different. Definitely a special experience.

2 Likes

Finally got a lock on my 1.0 super mystic x 0.1 pastel super mojave pairing. I’ve had the female since she was around 230 grams, I got her in early 2019. She’s sitting around 1300-1400 grams now but has been consistently pounding food and grew like a weed. She’s been showing interest in breeding (tail wagging, scenting) so I’m glad Almond finally took up the offer. He’s a proven breeder and had just ignored her the first times I tried to pair them :joy:

4 Likes

Very nice!!! Congrats. All super clutch!!! Those are always neat! I did a crystal x mystic potion this year and it was neat to see the variances in the patterns and colors with the babies!

4 Likes

GHI Het Red Axanthic Pastave x Kingpin
Yes, I will potentially have white babies that are hiding genes. I plan to hold them back and prove out what’s in them. But I was excited about potential combos that didn’t hit lesser and Mojave so I went ahead with the pairing.

That isn’t my only pairing but the main one I have pics of currently. We had our first season this year, and was mostly simple combos. So I’m really excited for stuff I’ve been growing up for a few years to breed this season!
Other pairings I’ve started this year;
Pastel Leopard Clown x Spotnose het Clown
Fire Enchi YB x Bumblebee
Banana Pastel x Mystic Pewter
OD YB Het Pied x Lesser Pinstripe Spider
Mojave Sulfur x OD YB Het Pied
OD YB Het Pied x Pied
Pastel Leopard Clown x Pastel Enchi Champagne

Also have a Chocolate Russo girl and a single gene Enchi girl that may be ready mid season. They are of age and almost to size but not going to rush them!
Super excited to see everyone else’s pairings!

3 Likes

@tnstorybook Good luck identifying that champagne clutch!!! Lol Champagne leopard stuff is actually really neat! You actually get a pattern and enchi does the same. Mixing it together excellent choice imo!!!

1 Like