Morph Issues [Boa Constrictors]

Morph Issues

This is a list of all the morphs and combos that have known issues associated with them. Feel free to reply with updates to this list.

Last Update: December 15 2021

Morph Issue Source Notes
Super Motley (Columbian) Fatal [1] Don’t survive past 2 years of age.
Super Aztec Wobble, Infertility [2] Lack of coordination which may or may not improve with age, some die young, some are infertile.
Super Jungle Fertility Issues [3]
Kahl & Sharp Albino Eye Issues [4] May be linked to early inbreeding
Scoria Wobble [5]
Super Hypo Blown tire sidewalls [6] There’s some sort of musculature issue, breeds just fine and normal lifespan as far as anyone can tell.
Smoke - Keltic Motley Functionally like a Super Motley [7] Basically a snake with a time limit.
Super Keywest Unusually High Death Rate At Birth [8] Drowned Before Birth, And Blown Out Sides Like Super Hypo
RLT Unusually High Death Rate At Birth [9] Drowned Before Birth, And Blown Out Sides Like Super Hypo
Super Parsons Unusually High Death Rate At Birth [10] Drowned Before Birth, And Blown Out Sides Like Super Hypo
Onyx/leopard Can Get Big Bellies And Die If Overfed [11] non issue
Zero Some % Have Narrow Heads [12] No Long Term Issues With The Narrow Ones Know, Homozygotes Do Breed
Sterling Maybe Narrow Heads [13] If Zeros Can, Possibly Sterlings Do Too
Fires Thin Skin, Small Scales, Sometimes Small Eyes [14] Homo Fires Breed Just Fine
Labyrinth Hetero - Fine But, Rumored To Lack Breed Drive. Homo - Unknown [15] They All Reportedly Alive And Okay
Marron Homos Possibly Don’t Breed [16]

1. Super-motley boa issues? ↩︎

2. Aztec Mutation in Boas - Capital Geckos ↩︎

3. Super Motley and Super Jungle Boas Infertile? | SuperiorMorphs ↩︎

4. Genetic issues with Boas - #8 by westridge ↩︎

5. Scoria Boa | Reptile Forums ↩︎

6. Morph Issues [Boa Constrictors] - #13 by hare_hollow_farm ↩︎

7. Morph Issues [Boa Constrictors] - #13 by hare_hollow_farm ↩︎

8. Morph Issues [Boa Constrictors] - #13 by hare_hollow_farm ↩︎

9. Morph Issues [Boa Constrictors] - #13 by hare_hollow_farm ↩︎

10. Morph Issues [Boa Constrictors] - #13 by hare_hollow_farm ↩︎

11. Morph Issues [Boa Constrictors] - #13 by hare_hollow_farm ↩︎

12. Morph Issues [Boa Constrictors] - #13 by hare_hollow_farm ↩︎

13. Morph Issues [Boa Constrictors] - #13 by hare_hollow_farm ↩︎

14. Morph Issues [Boa Constrictors] - #13 by hare_hollow_farm ↩︎

15. Morph Issues [Boa Constrictors] - #13 by hare_hollow_farm ↩︎

16. Morph Issues [Boa Constrictors] - #13 by hare_hollow_farm ↩︎

2 Likes

Are there any others that need adding to this?

@t_h_wyman @westridge @mattcookreptiles

2 Likes

Kahl & Sharp Albino - Eye Issues
Scoria - Wobble

3 Likes

To the best of my knowledge, it is only one of these lines that has eye issues and from what I have seen it probably is not inbreeding related

2 Likes

I would have to find were it was but I remember it being only sharp albino not kahl. But don’t quote me without facts.

3 Likes

I’m curious about this as well. I’ve seen both lines (kahl more) with bug eyes and I’ve always avoided them.

2 Likes

It probably is Kahl. I can’t find what I had read a while ago.

3 Likes

Palumbo and I talked about it on his show… I just cannot recall which strain it was because boas are not my thing so my retention level is low with them

3 Likes

It is Khal that the buggy eyes, sometimes appear more so visual x visual. I remember seeing an episode on Jason’s exotic on YouTube.

3 Likes

Thank you for the info everyone

3 Likes

It’s definitely both sharp and kahl that can have bulging eyes.

2 Likes

It’s not due to inbreeding. Seems like a melanocyte mediation of eye development issue to me.

1 Like

This is a copy paste from my discord. Let me know if you have any questions.

Super motley - lethal by 2, hetero still missing some amount of muscle and has small head and blown out sides
Super jungle - lethal to some initially others at 2-3 yo and the rest as older adults, any reproduction from these is a rumor from europe, there’s a handful over 5 but woo that’s a real victory to have a barely functioning 8 yo that cant breed
Smoke - keltic motley functionally like a super motley, basically a snake with a time limit
Super hypo - blown tire sidewalls, there’s some sort of musculature issue, breeds just fine and normal lifespan as far as anyone can tell
Super aztec - lethal to some, failure to the thrive in most, some of them live for awhile, I’ve never heard of them breeding
Raptor - just fine
Keywest/rlt/parsons - supers seem to die at an unusually high rate at birth, so they drown before birth, blown out sides like a super hypo imo
All T+ lines - seem fine
Onyx/leopard - this could be a boa sigma problem but they cant digest well as babies, get big bellies and die if over fed, it seems to me like its more common in the homozygote
Zero - some percent have narrow heads, no idea about long term issues with the narrow headed ones, zeros homozygotes do breed
Sangria/blood - het and homos seem okay
Kahl/sharp - bulging eyes full of fluid at birth, some eyes fail, some eye recover, linked to melanocyte not mediating eye formation so you cant breed away and antibiotics doesnt help keep the eye unless its getting secondarily infected
Kraken - not monogenic
Sterling - if zeros can have narrow heads can these as well?
Anerys - all of them beautiful and perfect in every way
Imgs - seem good, although how many people have a known homozygote
Marron - homozygotes dont breed as far as the internet will tell me
Fires - thin skin, small sclaes sometimes small eyes, i havent played with a homo fire but they breed… clearly
Jablonski ss - just fine
Labyrinth - heterozygote seems fine, rumors that some of the heterozygotes just never want to breed, no rumors about the homozygote yet. They’re all reportedly alive and doing okay.

4 Likes

I personally have not seen this in any of the Sterlings I have seen. It is a pretty obvious thing in Zeros.

3 Likes

I agree I’ve never seen narrow heads in sterlings either but boa people aren’t always the most forthcoming. Also, Idk if it’s “obvious” in zeros. Most zeros are normal. It seems rare for them to have a narrow head but common enough to me that it’s either legitimately a potential byproduct of the mutation or another mutant allele that needs to breed out of that lineage.

1 Like

At least in my opinion it’s obvious when you think about the stocker head of the normal Colombian.

2 Likes

I don’t mean the morphology differences due to the natural variations between different localities. I’m saying that there are zeros where the heads look almost like super motley’s in terms of narrowness and distortion. I’ve attached a picture as an example.

1 Like

Yes, I am agreeing with you, the head is lacking the prominent muscle structures. Also with a very short pointed nose instead of the normal more triangle/arrow shape with a clean stop for the “mustache”.

3 Likes

What about abrasque x abrasque? I have heard that there is a homo form but that there is also fertility issues with that pairing. Does anyone have any experience with this pairing?

4 Likes

I haven’t heard anything about the homozygote arabesque but since it’s dominant it would take a careful breeder to determine if the probable supers have a higher than normal failure to thrive rate.

3 Likes