Hello Everyone. I’m from the Omaha Ne area and have owned Balls for a few yrs . I’m currently researching What it takes to start a successful breeding project. Also identifying gen . Looking forward to be part of this community. thks!
Start with a goal in mind, pick something with genes that you enjoy and you like but still have some value so if/when you go to sell them you won’t get stuck with them. Once you have a goal in mind figure out how you’re going to get there, some examples follow.
- Are you going to start with a single pairing and there’s a chance that the offspring’s going to be what you want
- Are you going to start with two pairing and by breeding the pairs and breeding the offspring and that pairing has a chance to be your end goal
- Any of the above with more plans afterwards
Also you need to have a rack or lots of aquariums/tubs for the offspring and breeders.
@erie-herps makes some good points worth thinking over.
Some other things that will help.
- Brand and logo. Make them bright, noticeable and showing what your about. Company name and logo opinions
Being active in the community.
- Here is probably the best place to start, everyone here loves reptiles, otherwise they wouldn’t be here.
- Get on Instagram and Facebook and make friends. Share their posts and they will do the same for you.
Buying quality stock.
- This doesn’t necessarily mean expensive, but rather in the sense of your direction… As a example, If you want to produce dark morphs then only buy dark variations of that gene… Clean - buy clean, Dirty - buy dirty, Reduced - buy reduced.
- Don’t buy into everything, you will quickly burn out of both money and plans.
Here are some threads that you will find some good information in…
And some on the animal care side…