Pictures of reptiles in the “wild”

Went on a nature walk with the family today and braved literal swarms of mosquitoes to catch these tiny little guys. They were so cute and there were so many of them!

7 Likes

I love to do this! :heart:

2 Likes

Me too! We have horrible summers here in AZ, so whenever we get rain, I try to take advantage and get outside as much as possible. We have a really cool riparian preserve right nearby that always has interesting wildlife to see.

2 Likes

Summer here in South Florida are really hard too. It comes down to when the humidity and rain raise in the summers.

1 Like

Woodhouse’s toad at my work

6 Likes

Oh my Odonata! That’s one of the coolest species of Dragonfly I’ve ever seen, whatever it is!

Some of you live, or have traveled, to some amazing places for herps! There’s not a lot of species in the wild here in southwestern Idaho, but I want to go find some critters to photograph now! Great thread, @lumpy

2 Likes

Thank you, truly this thread has become something that I never thought it was going to become. Now I believe that it will never die out.

2 Likes

10 Likes

I found this alligator lizard in a classroom at my work a while back. I wrangled him/her into an empty trashcan to take them outside.

Found this guy on the patio at work. He was a pretty good size and just chilled while I snapped a bunch of photos.

8 Likes

I found these two on my fishing trip, Baldwin Michigan, in late September. I put them closer to shore as I did not want the male to drown the female LOL. I’m not sure what type of turtle they are. It’s the third time I have seen them on my trips over the years. Some of them have yellow instead of orange color.

Take care
Tom

9 Likes

Here’s mine I’ve also found turtles and gopher snakes but newer been able to hold onto one long enough to get e pictures but here’s one my uncle caught about 2years ago and tried to keep as a pet before I convinced him to release it about a week later as well as a toad of sorts(I think) if anyone can identify it I found it late at night in my driveway in Nevada county California

4 Likes

It kind of reminds me of a marine toad.

1 Like

Looking at the toads local to me jr looks like a boral toad but this was 2ish years ago

1 Like

They’re not reptiles, but since we also talk about inverts around here, I thought I’d share these too.

Cicada I found outside the kitchen at work (odd find, since we don’t really see them around here):

Big beautiful orb weaver outside the bathroom at work:

Pretty little jumping spider. Can’t quite remember where I found him. Tile looks like it could be my bathroom? Not sure. EDIT: Now I remember! It was in the campsite bathroom on Santa Cruz Island.

6 Likes

Ooh, if we’re including inverts, here’s this beautiful sphinx moth my son found in the yard. They have a lovely splash of pink hidden under their wings and they’re so fuzzy.

10 Likes

We can include inverts!!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure those are North American Wood Turtles, a semi-aquatic species. I know people who have kept them, and they have said that they seem intelligent for a reptile and that they have a lot of personality.

4 Likes

Yes, those are definitely Wood Turtles. @tommccarthy Beautiful animals. How was the fishing on the PM? One of my favorite rivers. I’m missing it (and others) since my move to NH!

2 Likes

Hi dlhirst

Fishing is always good for me up there. I’ve been going since 2000, so even on the slow runs, I know where to look for them.

Take care
Tom

10 Likes

That river is an incredible resource. Never disappoints!

2 Likes