Rate My Enclosure Community Edition

I’ve seen a lot of YouTubers doing this sort of thing where people submit their enclosures and the YouTubers rate them, so I thought it would be fun if we could have a space to submit our enclosures for anyone in the MorphMarket community to rate. I’ll start it off with the enclosure I have for my blue tongue that I’ll be getting quite soon. The enclosure measures 4’ long x 2’ wide x 1.5’ tall. I bought it from a local reptile store. They built it in house and I absolutely love it. It has a built in thermostat as well as holes drilled for cords, a place to screw in bulbs and slots for ventilation. The UVB and LED light aren’t installed yet, as well as one big basking rock and the food and water bowls being in the quarantine enclosure, but it’s completed enough that I feel like I can share it.

20 Likes

Mines for a beardie 4x2x2 and I love how it turned out

14 Likes

That’s looking real nice! I’d give it a 7/10. What I would change is I would put loose substrate down, and as a matter of personal taste I’d try to really replicate the outback vs it looking more artificial. Besides it not having loose substrate though l, looks absolutely amazing for a beardie!

4 Likes

My reason didn’t put lose substrates was because I don’t want impaction but I am planning to switch to it soon I don’t like the part either it’s mainly because I am getting a juvie and it’s a first pet so simple=better.

5 Likes

If it’s for a juvenile, then I understand, but as an adult I’d switch it to a mix of top soil and play sand.

2 Likes

Exactly my plan :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah, the reptile community has people terrified of impaction, but there are many loose substrate options that work just fine because they “mat up” if done right. My leopard gecko is on loose substrate since a baby and no impaction issues at all, never saw them with substrate in their mouth.

As long as you have it fine enough for it to pass, or matted enough they spit it out, you should be OK. I believe for beardies, you want it at least as fine as play sand if you are going the fine route.

10 Likes

personally, I don’t think that’s valid for 2 reasons
one: its 2 different species
two: I have asked 3 or 4 different breeders at an expo, and they all said, ‘tile works best.’
not saying your downright wrong it’s just my opinion.

personally, I don’t think for juvies or babies should be on loose substrate, but I think there is alot less risk if you do it as an adult (which is my plan)

5 Likes

I do not want to get into a big discussion about substrate, but I will say that many breeders in Australia and Europe keep all of their beardies on loose substrate. Keeping them on tile and other hard substrates is really more of a thing in America that got popular when reptiles were becoming more popular pets in the 80s and 90s but over the 2000s to the 2010s many responsible breeders realized that loose substrate was best because it provided great enrichment for the beardies, no matter the age and impaction was very unlikely. I’m not trying to convince you if anything or chang your mind, just trying to show you my and @verinium s’ point of view.

3 Likes

ok I guess :grinning:

3 Likes

Fair, i mean, breeders are going to do whats easiest, and tile is certainly easier than maintaining loose substrate, and is pretty hard to mess up. I would hazard a guess its a matter of ease for explaining to newcomers. They could explain the intricacies of doing loose substrate correctly to everyone they talk to, or just say “use tile”.

If the person messes up the loose substrate, it can harm the animal. If a person messes up tile… well i dont know what to do with that person haha.

For myself, id be just as comfortable using my substrate mix on a Bearded dragon as i would a leopard gecko, but ive got a bunch of snakes also on my bioactive substrate, and im at my limit for animals i can care for, but those red beardies are looking good!

Long story short, its not my place to tell you what to use, as thats your choice as an owner, and playing it safe isnt always a bad option when you dont know enough about something to do it safely. So if you want to wait till they are older and do more research on which loose substrates are safest, thats perfectly reasonable :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Let’s get this topic back to it’s original purpose and get more people showing off their enclosures.

4 Likes

Fair, its hard for me to give a rating for a skink enclosure, as im not fimiliar with what they need. So with no knowledge of the animal, id give it a 6-7/10. Its definitely not bare bones, but it just seems very bland in the color dept. Perhaps it is a desert species of skink, and its intended tk mimic its natural environment, but since im unfamiliar, its hard for me to factor that in.

As for @lizardkid id give him a 6/10. I like it so far but it just looks too fake for me. My recommendation if he wasnt keen on loose substrate would be perhaps to use some reptile safe adhesive and create a naturalistic flooring to give the appearance of loose, without having to worry about injestion. The fake succulent seems out of place as well, but aside from those 2 gripes, it looks decent :slight_smile:

I have my geckos enclosure pics in my original post, so just gonna leave that there if people would like to rate :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yes, the species is an eastern blue tongue skink so I’m trying to replicate the dry forests that they come from along the eastern side of Australia.

3 Likes

Gotcha, is the grass planted, or is it going to dry out and turn tan? If its planted and recovers to gjve a little greenery around the base of the “trees” i think that would be a really good effect. But if it browns out like everything else, its gonna be enrichment for the skink, but not so nice to look at asthetically

3 Likes

The grass could grow back if I wanted it to but I wanted to have it be more dry to get that sort of effect where it looks like a forest on the border of the steamy coastal forests and the scorched deserts.

2 Likes

Fair, i dont know why the unicolor bugs me so much, but it its what their natural environment looks like, then its definitely the way to go. Personally, id probably do the grass arid, but alive, but looking up pics of the natural environment, it can definitely go either way, and trying to maintain grass on that cusp between lush green and dry/arid could pose a challenge.

4 Likes

Leaky’s Q tub as of now. I plan to add substrate once she gives me a few poops and such. And yes, I have made sure the lid to the tank is secure and this tank even held Kai as a yearling.

8 Likes

Hold on, when did you get another boa!? You gotta show some pics! Also, looking absolutely amazing for a quarantine enclosure.

7 Likes

No, not another boa but a corn snake. Here is her topic on here. Well, this wasn't a colour I was expecting to see! - #209 by caryl
Though, I will be purchasing more boas soon. :wink:

7 Likes