Rate My Enclosure Community Edition

Shhh! Don’t tell him our plans!

3 Likes

Lol, I wouldn’t mind one :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

If you go for black rat snake i whole heartedly recommend white sided :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

This is for my hognose.

He has another plant now by his log but i don’t have a picture of it.

8 Likes

Honestly, that looks great. Maybe just tape black paper on three of the sides to make the hognose feel more secure, but that’s not really necessary. That enclosure is very simplistic but you honestly don’t need to go very excessive for hognoses.

2 Likes

Here is the enclosure setup for my 1 year old and 2 ft long MBK. Enclosure is a 36x18x18 Carolina Custom Cages. Features an Arcadia Solar Basking Floodlight, an Arcadia Deep Heat projector and a 7% ProT5 ShadeDweller UV-B. I used Elmer’s foam board to help with insulation. Ignore the temperature readings since I had briefly turned off the heat sources to clean :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The only thing I can think of to add is an interactive background and taping some paper on the outside of the walls for added security. Also, the insulation might be holding in to much humidity. I’d swap out the insulation for a humid hide since Mexican Black Kingsnakes only really require the same ambient humidity that’s in your house.

1 Like

Thanks for your input. She does have a humid hide it’s stacked under the black hide on the left (warm) side. The foam board is used to help preventing heat from escaping since my AC is on full blast all throughout the summer. I also live in a dry climate and the humidity is typically 20% in my room, I prefer aiming for at least 30% and no more than 60%. I plan to have her adult enclosure be PVC but for now I like the glass/transparent idea simply so she can be passively habituated to me and her surroundings :slight_smile: However, I like your idea of an interactive background and I’m sure it would bring the naturalistic look together. I’ll probably chose to do a Universal Rocks one.

2 Likes

@t_h_wyman I know that you just got some beautiful candoia, would you like to share a pic of their enclosure?

3 Likes

I do not have any pics on this computer but I will snap a couple this evening and post them up tomorrow

4 Likes

Rhamphiophis oxyrhynchus cage

Rhamphiophis rostratus

Kukri

Candoia

13 Likes

I’d like to bump up this topic a bit because I feel like this could be a good resource for getting to know the other members of the community.

4 Likes

Start-out on another dart frog vivarium.

7 Likes

Interesting. If it were me, I’d add a bit more hardscape. 8/10

3 Likes

There’s quite a bit more than you can see, I have a cork planter on the right side and I built a ledge under the rabbits foot fern on the left, it’s just not super visible with the ficus over the spiderwood.

1 Like

3 Likes

A few of my invert enclosures, i have enclosures for my Rosy boas but haven’t planned them out.

I think i want to go naturalistic/bio or hybrid for my Rosys but not quite ready to commit to a style. Going full bio i think id have to worry too much about humidity, lights for the plants and since my Rosy Boas are all albino they may be more sensitive to lighting, plus i worry about impaction from the substrate.

7 Likes

Update on the same enclosure from before

9 Likes

Oh that is gorgeous!! So many plants and aesthetically a great sense of depth by heights varying. Lots of cover for an animal.

Edit to add: Ah I see it’s for dart frogs! It’s perfect! They’ll love that set up with all the greenery to hide in.

I have plans to make an East Asian inspired “Peace Garden” look- it’s not a proper Zen garden but it has some Japanese style features and a little Buddha figure whose style I can’t pin- in the small enclosure I am planning for my House Snake. I want to go for overgrown, abandoned garden, make it lush and humid enough with the plants, and use fake rock features to give him a lot of places to hide and explore.

Live mosses will be a great help in maintaining humidity, from my research so far. I have a Black THumb, so bioactive gardening enclosures are quite challenging, and exciting.

4 Likes

I love the idea of overgrown human structures in a terrarium environment. Your overgrown peace garden idea sounds great, I’d be eager to see it if you end up making it!

I had plans to make a sort of overgrown, wooded temple build for a mourning gecko group. I ended up finding my fishscale geckos so the plans for mournings has been delayed, but I’d still really like to do some builds that capture the feeling of overgrown urban decay.
I don’t have much experience with doing intricate terrarium builds though, so for now I stay pretty simple.

2 Likes