Surprise Het

All the hypo I hatch out is from a orange ghost line. I could be wrong but I don’t think it’s hypo.

Interesting. I’m keeping her to raise and breed, but I’m also pairing the mom to my ghi hypo this year, so if I get an visual hypo babies I’ll know moms a het.

Do you think that baby is just a normal then? Color is way lighter and “grey” and she has clear sheds.

Maybe Spector? What’s its belly look like?

2 Likes

Looks hypo to me maybe citrus hypo?

I’m saying single gene Spector no hypo. Neither parent are known hets and none of the rest of the clutch looks hypo to me.

1 Like

Specter is a gene I’m not familiar with and is hard to get an understanding on by looking up online. I’ll try to do some more learning.

Hypo in banana combos seems hard also, because it seems like the banana spider hypos I see look like my banana spider and the banana cinnamon looks hypo as well, so I’ve got a lot to learn still. Maybe I also suck with getting quality pictures to id them also

Thanks for the feedback by the way, and hopefully i don’t come across as defensive, just trying to ask as much as i can to learn what i can.

No problem always happy to help!

Not at all!

Like I said I could be wrong hypo can be tricky to identify in general. And I find identification easier in general in person. You see the true colors!

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more. i’m going to spend some time figuring out how to better photograph my snakes as well. some breeders seem to capture the true colors so well, while i’m sitting here looking at the pic and thinking it looks like a different animal entirely.

From all the photos and your description of the first baby, I see visual hypo 100%. The blacks are steely grey not true black and you did say the shed is clear, both scream hypo.

It could be spector, but from my understanding of the gene that doesn’t account for clear sheds or non black background. From what I’ve seen some snakes are advertised as yb or spector cause they are in the same complex and hard to tell apart if both are possible in the offspring but only one is present. (If both are present I believe it’s a super stripe). The single gene spectors I’ve seen have normal black backgrounds.

As for bananas with ghost… good luck. Lol
I once asked a breeder how he knew his banana hatchling was hypo his reply was that both the parents were…

2 Likes

I’m most likely not going to be breeding the banana cinny because he has a pretty intense kink with some messed up scales about 1/4 of the way down his body. He eats fine and is thriving, probably the chunkiest out of all his siblings. Made me sad to see this because it’s the number one combo I wanted from that clutch.

You can see it pretty apparent in that photo.

Are you judging by pictures you have seen or examples you have hatched?

I’m judging his photos to visual hypo I have or have had and those I’ve seen at shows.

It looks like a hypo/ghost to me, though I’m not 100% familiar with the morph myself. I’ve seen enough at shows and even had a spider enchi ghost male at one point in time.

1 Like

Androgenesis would actually add up just fine for the Hypo GHI to be the parent. Just because you did not see a lock, does not mean one did not happen. I have had more than a few clutches from females where I never actually saw the locks but they very obviously happened

1 Like

I fully understand that locks can occur without me seeing them, I was also thinking to myself about how this male has been a pain to get locks with females in general. I didn’t communicate that though, so my bad.

So that would basically mean dual sired clutch? at least for that individual snake, and the other 3 coming from the banana bumblebee specter?
other babies were:
Banana Cinnamon (poss hypo)
Banana spider (poss hypo)
cinnamon

I agree an unseen lock from the hypo ghi can explain the hypo hatchling. And the cinnamon could have been a result from either male. So there’s a 50% chance it is het hypo.

On one had you might have had a unseen lock that exposed a hidden het, but bad odds with other genes. Awesome, cause now your adult female is het hypo.

Other the other hand, you discovered two hidden hets in a pairing.
In this case I’d be buying lotto tickets.

try taking a few pics outside in natural sunlight vs inside with artifical lighting which can washout and change the look of certain morphs. Use this as a tool for help
Guide in asking for Morph Identification Help

2 Likes

im a bit worried about the temperature outside, where i’m at its only 30 degrees F outside right now. supposed to get up to 50 in the next couple days, so maybe i can try some then.