Thinking about Getting another Leo

Hello, Its been a while since I’ve Posted here but recently I’ve been thinking about Getting another leo. Right now I have everything down mostly on my current Leopard Gecko. Although I have a couple questions, So first off I know there should be some diversity I what food that eat although Im not able to get dubia roaches which I know are the best or atleast Im told so I mainly do meal worms and gut load them with various different Vegtables and maybe sometimes a little banna too so Do you guys think that fine or should I maybe add some crickets into his diet. Also What are the advantages of Hand feeding a Leo instead of tong feeding because right now I currently tong feed my gecko. Ive heard people say that HAnd feeding builds and bond and I wanted to know you opinons on if its BS or not. The Reason Im asking all of these questions now is because If I do end up getting another leo I want to catch any small mistakes Im doing now. Also Im having some trouble taming My gecko so any tips would be nice! Thanks and have a good day.

I’m glad you’re doing your research first but based on what you said I think there are ways you could improve your current husbandry before you get another gecko.
Mealworms and/or crickets are not a healthy staple. Dubias are pretty much the only option unless you feed silkworms, hornworms, or bsfl. A leopard gecko can not be healthy on a diet of mealworms since they’re high in fat and are very high in chitin from the exoskeleton. Crickets do not have the proper ratios of calcium to phosphorus (Ca:P) because of their lack of calcium. If they’re gut loaded and dusted with calcium (be sure not to overload on one supplement if both are done) they are an okay feeder but still not acceptable unless better feeders are provided (dubias, silkworms, hornworms, or bsfl). To give you an example I feed dubias as a staple, and mealworms about once every 4-6 feedings. I’m not happy with this schedule and trying to replace mealworms with other feeders. I have tried bsfl but they turned into flies to fast and I couldn’t get low enough quantities for that to work for me. My attempts at breeding them failed. I am currently trying to hatch/breed silkworms to replace mealworms and instead feed mealworms as the rare variety.
Neither tong or hand feeding is necessary. If you really want to you can but I think it’s a waste of time, I just feed out of dishes. If you’re using metal tongs (not rubber tipped, they’re okay) it can be harmful if your gecko bites them. If you decide to use crickets make sure none of them can escape into the enclosure, crickets can eat into leopard geckos and kill them.
Can you add a picture of the enclosure along with its size and temperature gradient? As far as taming letting the gecko get used to you is key. How does your gecko behave now? Does it run as soon as it sees you, when you put your hand in the tank, when it’s touched, not settling down handling, etc?

2 Likes

Thanks for the help I can look into getting dubias but I dont think its going to work out because lack of available were I live my Phones broken but If you look at my older posts You can see my setup not much has changed really. Now onto the taming my gecko seems to like me even when hes full and Im doing something in his tank he gets curious and pokes his head out he might lick my finger too if I stick it infront of his Hide but when I pick him up he wiggles alot and seems to get nervous which I dont liketo make him feel that way but idk sometimes I have to and if your wondering I use the scoop method to pick him up!

now this is some good info

1 Like

This is the only information I can find about the setup. Did you lower your temperatures down to high 80s with about a 90* hotspot? I think your enclosure can be improved, what is the substrate; is it loose? More cover would be a good idea, additionally covering 3 sides of the tank would help. Make sure any decorations can’t fall on your gecko.
I’m not trying to be harsh but you shouldn’t get another gecko until you can feed them the right food. Food is likely one of the most important aspects (along with the enclosure) that makes a huge difference in the health of the gecko. The wrong food can kill your gecko while the right foods can significantly increase your geckos lifespan, health, and well-being. If you have trouble getting dubias you could start a colony. With one gecko you could likely feed straight from the colony without waiting for it to get started.
As far as taming it takes patience, try putting your hand in there and leaving it there until he checks it out. Once he checks it out, you can try stroking his back. If he hides and doesn’t come back out just leave and try again the next day, don’t force him out or remove his hide. This may take weeks to do but once he’s comfortable with that you can try picking him up. If he runs just let him hide but eventually (again this will take a while) he will be comfortable enough to handle. Do some research, the search function on here brings up a lot of helpful results. Research how to tame a monitor, tricks for more advanced species can really help with easier species.
If you do get another gecko, don’t buy it from a major chain pet store. They are often unhealthy animals sourced from reptile mills. Source your geckos from a responsible breeder, a local, helpful breeder at an expo can help a lot since you don’t need to ship the gecko and you can ask them questions often. Chain stores information is also harmful.

2 Likes

Thanks I will do your advice for taming him also Would I get dubias from online or no someone local because I dont think the second option would be possibile. and I did lower the temperature a while ago. Also Ive been thinking about getting dirt substrate Ive hear good and bad things but since I tong feed him i dont think he could choke on it from a loose bug or something

1 Like

ehhhh it depends

Also do you think this site is reputable and if you dont know what site do you reccomened I’ll also do some research on how to start a colony Dubia Roaches – Reptilian Arts

1 Like

If you can get them local that’s ideal but if not online works great. I’ve heard good things about Rainbow Mealworms (I’ve gotten a bug shipment from them before), Josh’s Frogs, and Dubia Roach Depot. The link you added looks good too, just read reviews from independent sites first. I would look at other bugs that each website sells because you might end up ordering a different kind from them at a later time.
Don’t use loose substrate, impaction can and will kill a gecko. Geckos might eat substrate regardless whether it’s with food or not. People say that it’s rare or won’t happen but it’s not worth the risk, because it can be deadly. I think somebody on these forums had a gecko die from impaction.

1 Like

Here are some good links about breeding dubias. I’ve found that Dubia Roach Depot has more than enough information on their website. Be sure not to use textured plastic, look closely. I thought I had untextured but I accidently used textured plastic and some roaches can climb it. Keep in mind that it is possible to develop allergies to them but it takes very long to set in (it would likely take years or decades). The allergies also affect seafood so if you like seafood see the second link.
Great tutorial by mblaney
Something I made to avoid allergies,
it’s not very efficient but could work for one gecko

Guide for breeding dubias
Another guide for breeding dubias
How many roaches to start with
Gut loading dubias to feed

1 Like

Thanks so Much just to let you know so I dont look super dumb Is i was aware of Impaction I just saw the Lepoard Gecko Youtuber using That reptile dirt but I wanted to know your opinon thanks!

1 Like

I’m glad to help! I personally won’t rely on youtube for information, especially if they’re promoting possibly dangerous husbandry without proper warnings (I’ve seen this all the time and it’s terrible).

1 Like

Ok thanks ! Cya