What new reptiles have you bought recently? 2.0

Petco has a lot more different kinds of reptiles than Petsmart for sure. Good thing there is not one close to me! Lol! :blush:

4 Likes

I usually try not to even go over to the enclosures but I wanted to see if they had any tarantulas. They didnā€™t.

4 Likes

Ultrasound was this morning, fairly confident sheā€™s got some babies cooking. She would not be very far along but there are a lot of blobs that look consistent for early gestation. Here are some updated pictures in the sun.

9 Likes

Iā€™ll definitely follow along the progress then. Iā€™d seriously be interested in one when/if she lays. Definitely a cool species for sure.

4 Likes

No way!! Theyā€™re so cool!

4 Likes

The wife is definitely in love!

10 Likes

Heā€™s so tiny and adorable! Where did you get the Pothos?

5 Likes

Technically, they are sheā€™s. All mourning geckos are. Got the pothos from Loweā€™s.

6 Likes

Outstanding markings on her! I hope she goes for ya, sounds like you already may have some pre-ordersšŸ˜

3 Likes

Ok so hereā€™s a dumb question but if all mourning geckos are female then how do they reproduce?

3 Likes

Armadillo lizards are so crazy looking! Great find!

3 Likes

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I think they produce via parthenogenesis.

5 Likes

They reproduce through parthenogenesis. Basically meaning; at around 9ish months old, the mourning gecko will start laying eggs regularly. But because there is no male all the babies are just gonna be female clones of the mom. Iā€™m not sure how it works but it does lol.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve heard that if you want eggs, you should still keep at least two, because they kinda need another conspecific to ā€œpretend mateā€ with them to kick-start their reproductive process. Even though their ā€œmateā€ is also female and isnā€™t actually inseminating them, they still have to go through the motions, as it were.

Iā€™ve never kept mourning geckos and am not 100% sure if thatā€™s true, but I do remember reading/hearing it from more than one source.

5 Likes

That is my understanding as well. Jackie said we are going to let nature run its course in the enclosure and see how things turn out as far as future babies.

And we have already had to use some strategically placed paper towels to keep the locking system escape-proof!

5 Likes

Yeah, Iā€™ve heard theyā€™re escape artists! Probably helps to be tiny.

Youā€™ll definitely want to be sure to plug up even the tiniest gaps before you have any hatchlings! Their babies are practically microscopic.

Your little gals are super cute. Iā€™ve recently been thinking about some smaller species I could potentially put in some sort of little bioactive enclosure, and mourning geckos are one species Iā€™m considering. Iā€™ll be curious to see how things go with your pair!

5 Likes

She is so stunning. Thatā€™s so exciting that sheā€™s likely gravid! Canā€™t wait for baby pictures.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve been wanting some williamsi geckos, a pair, that we can put into a super well planted bioactive 18" cube I saw.

5 Likes

Yeah, the williamsi geckos were another species Iā€™d looked at, along with a few smaller species of day geckos.

Iā€™m basically thinking either frogs (Whiteā€™s tree frogs, red-eyed tree frogs, and dart frogs are at the top of my list) or some sort of small gecko. Or maybe even something like green anoles. Ideally Iā€™d like to pick something that could be safely kept as a pair or small group.

Iā€™m still quite a ways off from being ready to purchase any animals, but Iā€™m probably going to try to start building the enclosure and getting it planted within the next couple weeks. Just gotta decide on what size enclosure I want to go withā€¦which to some degree will affect what I ultimately put in it. Decisions, decisionsā€¦:thinking:

5 Likes

I was informed today that all future reptile acquisitions are on hold until enclosures are upgraded and the wife gets her dream lizard, a Pine Island Leachie.

So it looks like Iā€™m going enclosure shopping!

4 Likes