What will this year bring you?

What are your plans for 2020, whether it be breeding, buying, learning, building or improving what you already have?

Is anyone pushing the limits of there wallets this year or having a break from the hobby for a bit?

Are you aiming for any ridiculous odds?

Are you planning on meeting any certain breeders or studying reptile related courses?

What do you want to be able to come back to this thread in a year’s time and be able to say you achieved?

1 Like

Two things for this year and both involve upgrading two display snakes. Our Ball python and our black kingsnake. We want to get a bigger tank for our Ball (yay an even more difficult time for humidity! Probably get a humidifier for both hot and cool side) and getting our King into the 40 gallon that we have had. Both are gonna be semi bioactive but without the live plants.

On a lesser note I’m hoping that all of my snakes will be up to size to eating rats so I can streamline the food purchases to only rats and mostly all the same size. I don’t see the ability of it but I want to get my shy eating snakes taking food from tongs as well. Though I doubt that particular goal and that’s fine. Got plenty of s. All feeding containers for everyone.

2 Likes

Here is my goal/aim for 2020

6/7 breeding females ready to go by end of 2020 or early 2021 (currently have 2)
ARS Rack with a Transitional Level by the end of 2020
My two german snakes both coming in alive in March
3/4 additional female bamboos, 2 on the darker side (willing to import)
Banana het pied female
Selling my pastel pumpkin pied / selling my champange [perhaps]
Getting retichip to WORK the first time for me and not flood it lol
Learning how to pop sex my snakes before I go straight to probing >.<

1 Like

My first reptichip use was memorably laughable as well.

1 Like

It’s possible the laws may be changing this year in my area to allow western hognose work. :partying_face:
I’m going to be getting back into short tails this year. :partying_face:

I was able to pick up the borneo short tail I was eyeing. She(?) is a bit skinny and the previous owner isn’t 100% sure on her sex so we’ll be sorting all of that. I got a great opportunity to meet a well established breeder to throw questions at.

I’m focusing on Calico. It’s certainly not new and not always that exciting but I found myself on a mission to see what all I could do with it.

3 Likes

@annakirby popping is surprisingly easy once you get a hang of it (i’m sorry but i forgot which yt vid exactly i watched to learn it)

My goals are to plan out and have someone building me a rack for rodents (living in an appartment and lack of power tools means i can’t do it on my own :neutral_face: ) and also possibly get my hands on bamboo something female. Bamboo enchi, bamboo spider or bamboo fire would be nice. Then again, i’m broke :sweat_smile: so all of that has to wait for a few months.

1 Like

Oof big things, moving out of state (hopefully), growing out some gorgeous girls for future projects, getting my company up and running so I’m all set for when I have baby BCIs to sell, and hopefully expanding what I’m doing to be more efferent and better for my animals!

So yeah, 2020, gonna be busy but exciting!

2 Likes

This year will bring the start of 2 triple recessive projects, which will lead to the ground work toward a quadruple recessive projects so I have a goal and can keep busy and motivated for the next decade or so. I always said once I achieve my goals it will be time to retire (the problem is new goals keep being added :roll_eyes:)

5 Likes

I’m working on a triple recessive as well. Talk about a long haul project! I don’t even want to think about quadruple recessive :scream:

1 Like

Yeah well might as well :roll_eyes:, I got challenged and now I am taking that challenged one step further which to me is what breeding Ball Pythons as always been about, taking it to the next step/goal which ironically seems crazy considering when I first started I only started with pairs of hets and no visual.

2 Likes

@stewart_reptiles Hah, I hear you there: the first Piebald I produced was from poss het to poss het before we knew about markers. Now I’m aiming at Candy Snow Pied :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

This year, I’m hoping for:

• Producing my first ball python clutch (My girl is well on her way, her visible build is getting bigger by the day!)
  • Producing my first western hognose clutch (I really wish there were more resources out there on how to breed these guys. There’s not much compared to ball pythons.)
  • Fully upgrading my rack setups so all my snakes have comfortable spaces to live in (some are outgrowing current tubs and I don’t have any room in bigger racks)
  • Getting more proven breeder/virgin nearly-breeding-size females. It’s definitely put me further ahead!
  • That my first show I’m vending at next weekend goes well. Hoping to sell a few snakes (wanting to refocus the collection) as well as these neat little vinyl stickers I designed myself.
  • Also, possibly designing more stickers for other common pet species + selling them both online and at local expos
6 Likes

You’ve probably heard of JMG Reptile if you’re into westerns. He’s been at it for a while. I’m pretty sure there’s a video with Dav Kaufman where Jeff talks about seasons, incubating, and more. Might be worth checking out.

2 Likes

@annakirby you need to have @trnreptiles make your logo into some stickers like that :slight_smile:

Put your info on one and use them instead of business cards :wink:

4 Likes

Haha, one perk of being an artist… I can make my own merch! I also designed my own business cards:

Maybe I ought to start another side gig doing design commissions for fellow reptile breeders :joy:

But using stickers to replace business cards seems like an interesting concept!

5 Likes

Honestly probably a good idea :joy: If it was just about the money start a logo design and rat business and sell to the exploding BP breeder market that’s probably the golden ticket :wink:

3 Likes

This year I plan to get a mahogany female of some kind to work towards a suma project. A breeder near me that specializes in dark morphs is pairing his GHI mahogany to a few females, so hopefully I can get a GHI mahogany from him.

3 Likes

Hopefully my pair of double het clown/VPI Axanthics like each other enough to give me some eggs, this will be their debut season :heart: and hopefully my Desert Ghost also decides she likes her BF and they produce. Going to be dealing with a lot of virgins this year :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Oh! I’m also thinking of getting a gray banded kingsnake to maybe eventually breed into my corns to see what I can get. I’m not sure if it’s possible but gonna do research and hopefully try.

2 Likes

I’ve been through 13 videos, and even had someone do a simple one for my on instagram after i asked them and I CAN’T DO IT to save my life. Honestly might be going towards the probing method after this. I have no feeling in my hands, so I can’t feel if I am pushing too hard or not already, and that makes me more nervous. Robert was able to pop our champagne and get sperm plugs, but unable to on any other snakes. I just fear of hurting them. I’m going to ask breeders at NARBC in two weeks to show me how they pop them. Hoping that with a personal experience I’ll learn.

1 Like