Escaped snake

My first snake i ever got managed to find a way to push of her vents in her enclosure ive been lookin for hours with no luck. Ive looked in places that are warm. Theres also not much carpet in my room so im worried she could have gotten into the floor board’s since theres a few places that arent covered. If anyone can give any adive kn what i should do thanks

4 Likes

Oh no. My best advice is (just using other people’s ideas) leaving a warm spot with some food near it. Hopefully this will lure your escapee in and you can find her there.

6 Likes

Oh dear, I’m sorry to hear that. Hopefully you’ll be able to locate it soon. They’re more likely to come out in the dark and quiet, though that’s not always the case. They tend to follow walls rather than cross open spaces. If you can put the snake’s own home down along a wall, they may actually end up back inside. They feel safe there.

Here are a couple of threads with a lot of tips for finding escapees.

Do keep an eye on any dogs or cats you have. One of my cats has led me to more than one escaped snake. I hope to hear that your baby is safely back with you soon.

6 Likes

@caryl read my thoughts about the dark and quiet. I have had several snakes escape and believe it or not all of them showed back up. Most of them showed up in the same room as their enclosures. The last escapee was a milk snake. I thought for sure he was never to be seen again because he was gone for several months. (This was also his 3rd escape.). One night when I turned on the light in the room where his enclosure was he was in the middle of the floor! The same thing happened with a baby ball python. We tore the house up looking for her and bam, there she was! In the middle of the night in the middle of the floor!

That being said, I would advise you to turn the lights on in the middle of the night in his room a few times a week and I bet you will find him. And don’t be too worried because snakes can go quite a while without food and water.

Let us know when your little Houdini shows up!

:heart::snake::frog::lizard::blush:

6 Likes

Thanks for the help but what should i do if shes gotten into the floorboards. I only have rugs in my room and there are multiple holes jn the floorboards. Would it be a good idea to leave out some food for her. Thus was my first snake so im really hoping i can get her back

4 Likes

I would try making at least one 2-L-bottle-trap and baiting it with food. I’d also try putting food in the snake’s bin and placing it on the floor. Leaving water out where she can get to it is good. If you can sprinkle flour or powder around where you think she may have gone you may find “tracks” if she is out and around. She’s more likely to be active at sunrise/sunset and when the house is quiet.

This is tough, for sure. If it’s possible she may have gotten inside the floor, I’m sorry but she may be gone for good. Food or warmth may lure her back out. If you have any way to see beneath the floor, by all means go for it. I’m thinking like if you have a basement or a crawl space beneath that floor.

It’s possible that the snake went up instead of down. They have been found on shelves, window blinds, dressers. Don’t limit your search to floor level. They do climb.

Hopefully you find her soon.

4 Likes

Ive pushed out all of the furniture and looked on shelves. Unless shes hidden somewhere under the rug on the side of the wall it seems like shes in the floor. I can shine my torch through the hole since rhey arent very deep mabye about 1ft byt i dont have a basement or any crawl space so im not sure what i can do now

4 Likes

Is it possible she went under your door?

4 Likes

I can fit my fingers inside the door but at the otherside of the door theres a metal part that blocks up that hole so things can get out so she should still be in my room somewhere. My door also has a bottom to it so she cant get inside the door

3 Likes

This is the size of the of the holes in the floor

4 Likes

If there’s no way to get under the door, or out a window, then yeah she should be in your room or, unfortunately, down the floor. I don’t have any suggestions other than those already provided. :confused: I’ll keep my finger crossed.

4 Likes

Yeah thats just hope that she gets found tomorrow is when id usually feed them so ill leave out some food and hope.that she eats it and then goes into one of the hides ive left out. Thanks for the help

4 Likes

I finally found her and now ive taped over the vents so i can avoid this in the future

5 Likes

Juat found her earlier today to avoid this in the future im going to tape around the vents so she cant nudge it open

6 Likes

I would be very cautious about using any type of tape in or around your enclosure. Especially if she knows she can get out that way, she will probably try again and I would hate for her to get stuck in tape.

7 Likes

I very much second what @solarserpents said about tape. I’d find a less dangerous way to secure things. What type of vents are they? Might be able to recommend some better fixes if we know what you’re working with.

6 Likes

Congratulations on finding escapee!

I gotta agree with @solarserpents and @noodlehaus about the tape. Tape and snakes can be a dangerous, downright disastrous combination. Until you can find a safe way to block all the potential escape holes, I suggest maybe putting the snake into something else. A latching bin or even a Critter Keeper can keep the baby safely snug temporarily.

5 Likes

@shadowspiderjack oh yes @solarserpents is so correct about the tape because my sweet little corn got stuck on a piece of tape at the top of his tub a few years ago when he was a little baby! I felt so guilty! But he survived! Absolutely no tape please! :blush::heart::upside_down_face::snake:

5 Likes

@solarserpents @caryl @caron Shes in a viv exotic enclosure so the vents are removable so you can put in plugs. The way i think this happened was because onenof the wires was pushing up in the vent abit so she managed to push it all the way open. Sadly im not home at the moment so i csnt send a picture of the vent but im going to drill them in rather than use tape

4 Likes

They’re determined little things, very adept at escapes. Hopefully you’ll be able to keep your baby from becoming a repeat offender. :snake:

3 Likes