Het showing through

I see a lot of conflicting opinions when it comes to Heterozygous snakes and whether some show visual signs of carrying certain genes or not.
As a example:

Het literally means carrying the gene but not showing.

My personal thoughts are that these snakes are not ‘het’ but actual visuals that are showing only slight markers.

Do any of you have any snakes like this and what is your opinion on the matter?

Yes, there are some visual cues for some heterozygous recessive morphs e.g. ringer on het piebald. But, even if they have a visual marker they are still hets unless they are the full recessive morph.

1 Like

Markers are not always 100% accurate however I can tell you that I have never been wrong about a poss het pied I held back or bought, they always proved.

Now do I recommend people to buy animals on markers? No I do not some have little to no markers and some other mutations/combos have been known to have so called markers (ringers for example) while not being het.

2 Likes

So going off that, you do believe that hets visually show
markers without being a ‘visual’?

Also just to be clear, you are saying a pied ringer doesn’t necessarily mean that it is heterozygous?

But going by that, what point would it become it’s full recessive morph?

Say we get a normal with a HUGE pie ringer, would that not just be a piebald but less showing? It has visual cues and carries the gene… Should that not make it a ‘visual’?

A huge ringer does not make a pied a homozygous recessive. It also does not guarantee the snake is heterozygous. It guarantees that it has a ringer.

When selecting from two heterozygous animals I would select the one with markers. Especially when purchasing possible hets.

The key is you take a risk buying a het. The payoff is when your cheaper snake proves out to be het.

1 Like

Correct I have seen many animals over the years with ringers that were not het pied, I have seen it a lot with Cinnamon or Black Pastel combos.

1 Like

How would you tell the difference between a low white/low pattern piebald and a ringer?
Or would breeding it out be the only way to know?

Edit: just realised how clear of a difference the piebald pattern is to the normal pattern. I guess that’s a big enough of a sign.

The snake with a ringer wouldn’t have the pied pattern.

1 Like

How would you tell the difference between a low white/low pattern piebald and a ringer?

Pattern as well as belly even with extreme ringers.

3 Likes

Yeah I realised after I wrote that. Thank you though. :blush: Do all morphs throw out ringers on occasion or is it just a handful that we know of.